Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,069   Online: 749

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Best chemical sources?

Alas and alack, my photo chemical source for many years has closed its doors. Tri-Ess Sciences of Burbank, which I used to visit personally and then by mail, is gone. Old Ira Katz is deceased. http://www.tri-esssciences.com/ (Ira invented many of the chemical special effects used in Hollywood such as human fireballs and such.)

Anyway, what companies are your favorite suppliers? Certainly Photographer's Formulary. Who else?

My (new) ideal source would have:

1. Great prices, of course!
    2. A wide variety of chemicals, from sodium sulfite to TEA to chloro-hydroquinone. (Does anyone really have the latter?)
    3. Low or no minimum order.
    4. Reasonable shipping rates.
    5. And of course, great service!

Where do you buy your chemicals? Any caveats?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I didn't have to pay tax because they are located in New York State where I live, I would do more shopping here:

http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have been with Artcraft for 5 years now , Michael is nice guy, he would weigh out any size order ...

his prices are reasonable and the shiping is less then Photographers' Formulary beeing on the east coast.

ILYA

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I believe Photographers' Formulary is the only source for Glycin.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use ARTCRAFT for many of the developing reagents and for gallon jugs of 60% ammonium Thiosulfate.

I buy my Glycin and P-Aminophenol from Photographer's Formulary

I like The Chemistry Store for Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Sulfite, Sodium Thiosulfate, Sodium Carbonate etc.

http://www.chemistrystore.com/
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Formulary for its selection, glycin primarily, and Artcraft for prices and for being close to where I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    <snip>
    2. A wide variety of chemicals, from sodium sulfite to TEA to chloro-hydroquinone. (Does anyone really have the latter?) <snip>
    In this post, John mentioned that http://www.alfa.com sells chlorohydroquinone, though it seems to be on back order now.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sodium sulfite will be available in your local chemical supply house or technical supply and it is a lot cheaper than buying as a photo chemical. Sodium Carbonate is available, at least to me, in the local art supply store as soda ash. (pure sodium carbonate) also much cheaper than from the photo chemical store. I have used the art store sodium carbonate for film and paper developers for many years. I buy the sodium sulfite from a chemical supply house here in 60 pound bags (a little over 25 kilos) at quite a substantial savings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sodium carb is also available as Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. Borax is available as 20 Mule Team Borax; both found in grocery stores.

I know I'll start a war here re: purity of these two, BUT, they *CAN* be used for photo purposes. I'm not trying to say one grade is better than the other, just that they are available and can be used.

Anchell desribes CHQ as expensive and dangerous to manufacture. I wonder if it really is available? I only know of a couple of formulas that use it; old ones at that.
    Last edited by jim appleyard; 02-26-2008 at 01:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I guess the trick is knowing what comes from where - Artcraft, Formulary, Ebay (careful with this one,) Trader Joes, Leslie Pool Supply. A lot of different places for different things. If I could pick only one for stuff I can't get at the local shopping center it would likely be Artcraft - great people, service, selection and price.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin