Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,628   Online: 1134

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hard contrast developers

I'm looking for some recipes for hard contrast print developers. Something stronger than Dokumol.

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm

Do you have any references?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    I'm looking for some recipes for hard contrast print developers. Something stronger than Dokumol.

Cheers
    things like the Photo-Index, Darkroom Cookbook, Haist, or Mason? You can find what you want there. If you don't, I can find some for you, but I don't want to waste my time.

Generally, you will want a developer that uses only hydroquinone, a healthy dose of iodide or benzatriazole, and high pH, even sodium hydroxide.

What about a lith developer?

And what's Dokumol?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    D8 or D11, both for film and both pubished by Kodak.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

hard contrast

If you want it for paper there are limits. If I had the intent of hard contrast but continuous tone, I would start by shooting the film and then developing it to a higher than normal contrast - say D19. Then the option of exposing on a hard contrast paper in a conventional print developer.

A harder contrast route, but with more steps to adjust the process, is to take a normal processed continuous toned neg, and expose (enlarged or contact printed onto lith film. Develop the lith positive to the CI you want, (D85 for full lith all black and white, no greys and then contact to lith again, or continous tone again, as the mood suits you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, actually, after thinking about this, any developer will give a reasonably hefty contrast increase if you increase the pH of the developer. So, a pH 10 developer adjusted to pH 11 or 12 will give a considerably higher contrast to either film or paper. Use dilute sodium hydroxide or dilute trisodium phosphate solution to increase the pH value. Use a pH meter or pH paper to check it.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting PE. What dilution of sodium hydroxide and amount per 1000ml?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats hard to say Gary, as it depends on the buffer capacity of the existing developer. For example, a developer with 50 g/l of Sodium Carbonate would react differently than one with 5 g/l even though they might be at the same pH value of about 10.0.

You might try 40 g/l of Sodium Hydroxide. Thats a 4% solution and is also 1 Molar. It should work well, but be very careful as this is very corrosive. Add it dropwise with stirring and wear rubber gloves and safety glasses. I do.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Speaking of D11- any of you know where I can get development times for film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin