Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,865   Online: 1006

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Old Paper Again

Shooter
    Large Format
    The photo of the lady sitting on the bench, Velox 1954, certainly has that "3D effect"....at least on my monitor it does.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlibersky View Post
    That probaly has more to do with my scanning abilities and computer setup. I was afraid to mess with the scans to much. That said when toning a different piece of the 1931 Azo it went almost red using a 1:20 Selinium mix.

Were all of them toned then in the original scans?

That is not clear, and is not a very good comparison of the real image tone of the papers themselves.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    PE, if you look at the lower end of the scale that is the color that is closest to the original. My monitor here at work shows more tone then my monitor at home. When I scanned them in I wanted to show the tone so I scanned them as color. The range on the wedge is accurate.

I will rescan them tonight and see if I can get a better representation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm just curious to find out if they were all toned in the first post.

This makes a big difference in those papers when compared to the untoned image. This again is different than modern papers due to the use of different addenda today.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I'm just curious to find out if they were all toned in the first post.

This makes a big difference in those papers when compared to the untoned image. This again is different than modern papers due to the use of different addenda today.

PE
    Oh I miss understood what you where asking. I did tone them in Selinium at 1:60 for 5 mins.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, due to the spread in halide content and addenda compared to modern papers, the Se toning will distort them from the original. Remember that toning was not the norm back then among the average photographer. Therefore, the image tone was often adjusted for a straight process, and toning offset this quite a bit.

You might do a set without toning. This would represent what most average guys got back then.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That is good information. I will try that next time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Here is a new scan of the step wedges from the opening post. They more reflect the tone of the originals.

All were develored in 58D except for Illingsworth witch was LPD 1:3 50ml of 1% sol. Benzotriazole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Opal G Strip 1-2-4.jpg   Illingsworth Strip-2-3.jpg   Azo 1931 2-4 6 mins.jpg   Velox  1937 2-4.jpg  
    Last edited by Rlibersky; 02-29-2008 at 01:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: More information

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I'll give a guess here that we are looking at Opal, Velox and Azo as being a halide and/or addenda series that shifts from brown, to purpule to yellowish (on my monitor), and without the toner, these variations would be very very subdued and maybe even reversed in order.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, I'll give a guess here that we are looking at Opal, Velox and Azo as being a halide and/or addenda series that shifts from brown, to purpule to yellowish (on my monitor), and without the toner, these variations would be very very subdued and maybe even reversed in order.

PE

Please excuse my ignorence. Can you explain "as being a halide and/or addnda series" I do not know what you are trying to say.

I do have a dual monitor set up and they look different on each. No yellow though.

randy

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin