Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,251   Online: 1023

Shooter
    35mm RF

Tri-x in Xtol 1:3

I have a few rolls of 120 Trix (400TX) shot at asa 400 which I was thinking about souping in Xtol 1:3. I looked for the times on digital truth but they all have that note saying that the time was for the old emulsion tri-x. Does anyone have any times?
    I also have a bunch of D-76 already mixed up and may use that, so I don't have to mix 5 liters of Xtol. My thoughts are that Xtol at 1:3 will give me slightly sharper negs at the cost of grain, and would also get me close to a true 400 which d-76 wouldn't. Am I correct? Anyways any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by mexipike; 02-27-2008 at 11:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    John,

You will see higher accutance with the 1:3 dilution of Xtol with great enlargement. I would stick with the 1:1 dilution of either D-76 (I use ID-11) or Xtol. Xtol will give you greater film speed. I prefer Xtol to D-76. I've been developing my Tri-x in ID-11 1:1 for 10 minutes at 68 degrees with great results. You might try this same time with D-76 1:1. I gave up on the whole 1:3 dilution for anything a long time ago except for with large formats. It's just not necessary unless you're enlarging greatly. Xtol and ID-11 1:1 provide me with great sharpness and Xtol with greater film speed.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I only have a time for TRI-X at ASA1600 for XTOL 1:3 and that is 20.5 minutes - I had great luck with this combo - I have not noticed a significant difference in developing times with the new emulsion versus the old emulsion. The big difference I see is that the new emulsion is thinner, sharper and less grainy. A little more like TMY. I think XTOL 1:1 is about as good as it gets for roll film - unless you are shooting MF and looking for chubby mid tones without wanting to do huge enlargements - for that I would go with something with p-aminophenol like pyrocat-pc/glycol or rodinol. It is amazing how the mid tones come out in these brews - Of course XTOL will give you a very faithful curve and wonderful grain - great enlargeability and clean base.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have used the new TriX exposed at ei 400 and developed at 68degrees for 12.5 minutes. This is the same routine I often used on the old TriX. This time and temp works best for me when the light is a little flat or low contrast or the subject is not highly reflective. This doesn't work as well for me if the lighting was high contrast or the subject was highly reflective, if so I usually reduce development time one to 2 minutes. It sounds like you may have more than one roll of film to develop, you could always develop one roll or part of one roll and make adjustments from there if the lighting was similar on each roll, or you could go out and expose another roll the same way in similar light that you are willing to sacrifice and experiment with that before developing the rolls you have in mind, if the original shots you took are really important to you. I don't know how far you plan to enlarge, but the difference in grain with XTOL 1:1 and 1:3 is very minimal in my opinion, if noticeable at all up to 11x14, and to me, enlarging beyond 11x14 with 120 film doesn't work well.
    Good luck,
    Doug Webb

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin