Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,015   Online: 711

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The more you develop and print the more you will learn what you are doing right or doing wrong.
    Things will get better and it will all come together, so keep at it.

I have 3 cats, 1 dog and use my laundry room as my temporary darkroom.
    I run some hot water in the utility sink with the door closed for a while to get the humidity up and dust down.
    I dust off my enlarger and negs in another room before starting and this helps keep the dust and hairs down. But, no matter how much I try I always find dog hairs on my fixer tray after I am finished. I always wonder how they get it there, the dog never goes in the laundry room.

You will get the hang of the printing part on pretty soon you will be saying 'wow that one looks really good'

good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks mwdake I'm sure I'll be fine. I was freaking in the beginning with film and now that's walk in the park. Just need to get a few sessions under my belt in the darkroom and hopefully things will fall into place.
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    For now you can hang a wet towel in the room to raise the humidity and reduce static electricity.
    That's a waste of a perfectly good towel! I would suggest wetting the cat and hanging it in the bathroom to reduce static; can't say much about reducing the electricity in the air, tho'.

Go Sox!
    Last edited by jim appleyard; 02-29-2008 at 04:41 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hey Xia_Ke,

Thanks for the post - it brought back memories of "my" first print, which was amazing similar in quality to yours. I think that simply getting a viewable print on your first attempt can be considered a raging success. Perfection can come later. Well done and keep working!!

cheers eh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LOL... Thanks Jim. I'll keep that in mind

Thanks John I guess will all the stories of similar results from others on their first attempts I don't feel quite so bad. Still I was hoping for at least a decently exposed print I really have no one to blame for that but myself and impatience though. No work tomorrow and I have the apartment to myself tonight. Needless to say I will be locking myself away in the bathroom. Hopefully I'll have something decent to post either tonight or tomorrow
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aaron,

Run, don’t walk to get an anti-static brush. My dust spots were cut down by about 73.28%. Also running hot water in the dr/bathroom will help. Just don’t over do it or you will be printing in a sauna. (I learned this one.) Keep your hands as dry as possible. The moisture and oils from your fingers will leave marks on the paper. Every time you set-up/print/break-down you will learn another time saving trick that will be unique to your dr. Soon printing also will become second nature!

Good luck and have fun.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Mike This last time already was like a sauna. I was so excited, adrenaline pumping, that I was sweating like a pig and it was only 70 degrees in the apartment...LOL I have no doubt I will be picking up some time saving tricks. This last attempt was an eye opener for what will actually work and what won't work set-up wise in my bathroom. It was one thing to try and plan it out with a floorplan but, I threw most of that planning out when it came to actually working in there. I hope tonight goes smoother. I'm not leaving my bathroom until I get something presentable...LOL
    flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I remember my first home made prints came out completely black, even the test strips. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, then David Carradine appeared and told me, "You must stop down the lens, Grasshopper."

I had major dust issues in my home darkroom, exacerbated by the ancient carpet in there. I spent $60 on a home HEPA de-ionizing air filter machine dealybob and it's probably the most valuable piece of my darkroom equipment. Works almost magically! You could probably find it any place like Walgreens, Wal-mart, any large pharmacy and assorted stuff type store.

- Justin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Justin I'm thinking I may need to stop down a bit more myself. As it was my exposure times was about 10 seconds...LOL I won't be able to make it to Walmart tonight but, will try and make it sometime this weekend
    flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the second round definitely went MUCH better! Thanks everyone for your help and advice I posted a few of the shots from this round in the gallery
    flickr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin