Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,765   Online: 1264

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Xia Ke,
    When I look at your first attempt it looked very similar to my first attempt.

My first mistake was this: I didn't understand about standardizing the process. I would make the exposure (some arbitrary time, say 10 sec.), then I would watch the print in the developer and pull it when it looked good under the safelight. I would end up with uneven development because the paper never finished developing. When I standardized the development time (say 3 minutes); what my test strips were showing me then made more sense (single exposures). I learned to vary exposure time (2 sec. increments - without playing with the f-stops), not developing time - my results improved immediately.

I was also working in my bathroom - one tray on the sink and two in the bathtub.

Paul.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Gotta tell ya I see a lot of things happening with this print. Maybe an extra ten percent overall with some burning in the ground and dodging the upper corners a bit. Just for starts. I know when someone told me what I should do I pretty much gave their kind hearted remarks their due consideration, but jst wanted to throw in my two cents worth. You're doin' great, man. GOSOX!
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys

Paul, I took a more methodical approach on my second attempt Friday. Kept developing times and f-stop consistent, while just varyingmy exposures. Got much better results.

Chris, I definitely plan to revisit this shot. I'm going to need to practice my dodging and burning though as this one is going to take a bit of ork to get it right. I ALWAYS appreciate an extra 2 cents, so please don't hesitate when it comes to me. I'm here to learn and will take any advice/guidance I can get.

Not sure if you guys saw these but, I uploaded my shots from Friday's session into my gallery here. These are just straight prints:

flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isn’t the decisive moment or anything like that – it’s getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I like the forest scene. It looks good from here - the snow looks good on this monitor (CRT), but looks blown out on a flat screen - I think that's a great one to play around with and see how much detail is in the shadows.

You have nice forest in Main.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin