Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,566   Posts: 1,621,819   Online: 722

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Xia Ke,
    When I look at your first attempt it looked very similar to my first attempt.

My first mistake was this: I didn't understand about standardizing the process. I would make the exposure (some arbitrary time, say 10 sec.), then I would watch the print in the developer and pull it when it looked good under the safelight. I would end up with uneven development because the paper never finished developing. When I standardized the development time (say 3 minutes); what my test strips were showing me then made more sense (single exposures). I learned to vary exposure time (2 sec. increments - without playing with the f-stops), not developing time - my results improved immediately.

I was also working in my bathroom - one tray on the sink and two in the bathtub.

Paul.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Gotta tell ya I see a lot of things happening with this print. Maybe an extra ten percent overall with some burning in the ground and dodging the upper corners a bit. Just for starts. I know when someone told me what I should do I pretty much gave their kind hearted remarks their due consideration, but jst wanted to throw in my two cents worth. You're doin' great, man. GOSOX!
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys

Paul, I took a more methodical approach on my second attempt Friday. Kept developing times and f-stop consistent, while just varyingmy exposures. Got much better results.

Chris, I definitely plan to revisit this shot. I'm going to need to practice my dodging and burning though as this one is going to take a bit of ork to get it right. I ALWAYS appreciate an extra 2 cents, so please don't hesitate when it comes to me. I'm here to learn and will take any advice/guidance I can get.

Not sure if you guys saw these but, I uploaded my shots from Friday's session into my gallery here. These are just straight prints:

flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isn’t the decisive moment or anything like that – it’s getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I like the forest scene. It looks good from here - the snow looks good on this monitor (CRT), but looks blown out on a flat screen - I think that's a great one to play around with and see how much detail is in the shadows.

You have nice forest in Main.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin