Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,311   Online: 962

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Embarrassing First Attempt

So I got my paper developer in yesterday but, didn't really have the time to play so I was going to wait until Friday when I could lock myself away. I ended up processing a roll of Tri-X and couldn't seem to get a couple shots scanned right. I got so pissed at the scanner I caved and marched into the bathroom. Quickly threw everything together, mixed up my chemicals and said my prayers...LOL I only had enough time to try 5 prints but, definitely gave me a good idea of what I'm up against. All I have to say is F*** YOU DUST AND CAT HAIR!!!! ...LOL I'm embarrassed that this is the best I have to show but, what are you gonna do right?

PS- The cat hair and dust is on the print, not the scanner. Please disregard the fingerprint (note to self, do not grab paper with sweaty hands) and also disregard the rub mark (another note to self, be careful agitating paper with the tongs)

Oh yeah, this was Ilford Ilfospeed Glossy RC Grade 2 in Ilford Multispeed 1+14
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails embarassing print.jpg  
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I like the image, do you have a can of dust-off?
    Also, doing a test strip prior to the print to determine your exposure time would be helpful?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks pes Yes, I did a real quick test strip. I was scanning right before bed and said the hell with it so I just rushed right through setting up and banging out a couple prints. I realized afterwards that for some reason I never even took the temp of my developer...LOL Biggest lesson learned is not to get complacent. I've gotten so used to film developing that I just run on autopilot now and feel like I could do it in my sleep. This was a definite eye opener that paper is a whole other ballgame. Anyway, thought you guys might get a good chuckle out of this attempt...LOL
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Brings back old memories. Your curses made me laugh.

Getting it together is part of the fun - it takes a few tries before things start looking better. Keep at it..

At least the Red Sox are doing well - nice hat!

Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Paul Hopefully things will come together a bit for me on Friday. I will have the house to myself so I will be free from distraction. I can slow down, take my time, and play around with it.

Yes, the Sox are looking great. I can't wait for the season to get into full swing. I'm psyched Colon is looking so good. They were saying this morning on the news that he already a ways ahead of where they hoped he would be and they are bumping up his first start
    flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks to me that the cat hair and dust is on the negative not the print. In addition to Dust Off which only blows the stuff around to land somewhere else, they make an anti static brush to pick up the stuff from a neg.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    Looks to me that the cat hair and dust is on the negative not the print. In addition to Dust Off which only blows the stuff around to land somewhere else, they make an anti static brush to pick up the stuff from a neg.
    For now you can hang a wet towel in the room to raise the humidity and reduce static electricity.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Images
    I have problems with my scanner (Epson 2450) when it comes to negatives like this. The scanner does not recognize that there is an image there and gives me a 'Film not Found' message. Sometimes it just scans half a netative.

Depending on what kind a enlarger you have, the dust and hair can be on the condensers or contrast filters or lens or negative carrier (if it's a glass carrier), etc. I use an old DII for my 4x5. I ahve to clean the condensers with a static cloth, clean the glass negative carrier with the static cloth, clean the negative with a static brush. And I wonder why it takes me an hour or so just to get ready to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both my scans and my prints look so much better, very little spotting, since I started using an anti-static brush on the negs. I tried Dust-Off, bulb blowers, and Pec Pads with their fluid, but nothing works as well and is as easy as the brush.

Although I have both a cat and a long-haired dog (border collie) I have yet to see that as a factor in my darkroom. Vacuum the darkroom (2nd bathroom) once a week, keep the door closed when not using, hang film in shower stall with door closed, etc. Make sure your enlarging lens is clean on both sides, dust likes to settle on the top-facing element, and make sure you dust the enlarger or cover it in plastic sheeting and tie it off.

If you don't have time to print, then don't rush it. Nothing good ever comes from being rushed in the darkroom. If you don't have a few hours to devote to it, just wait. It'll relieve much frustration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys I'll have to look into one of those static brushes. I can assure you that the dust and cat hair is not on the negative though. That I did check. Could be in the lens cone though or even just fallen onto the paper after I put it on the easel. (I'm using an automega B-7 btw). I didn't really make any sort of effort to rid myself of dust last night. Hadn't really had any probelsm with it developing film so didn't pay much attention to it. Obviously that was a mistake...LOL
    flickr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin