Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,451   Online: 955

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    XTOL 1+1 is a great developer for certain kinds of portrait, as it gives smooth grain, soft highlights, and good midtones. On Tri-X 400, 35mm:

Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jim - Its female. And yes she definately won't like an overly sharp image.
    mhv - My Pro lab use Xtol and I like a results a lot. However it only comes in 5L (1 Gal) bags, which isn't practical. I prefer to stick to Liquid Devs as they are easier for small quantitys and tend to last longer part opened. ID11 is availible in 1L which makes life easier, but I use LC29 in perferance there as well, unless i'm doing unusual films with no LC29 timings or i'm doing a decent quantity that month and it works out more economical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    XTOL lasts pretty long in tightly stoppered bottles (6+ months). 45oz beer bottles, for instance, are perfect: mix the whole pack, and subdivide in bottles.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've experimented quite a bit on film for portraiture. My normal choice was APX 100 in Rodinal, a very popular combo amongst photographers. It is still available in 35mm, but all portraits are done on medium format. I'm playing about with Rollei Retro 100 (APX 100) and Ilford Delta 100 with a Softar I filter to smooth it all out.

I've been using this for both male and female portraits. I may switch to Tri-X/ Rodinal for male subjects..I'll see what mood I'm in!

Shooter
    Large Format
    HP5+ in ID-11 / D-76 1:1 is hard to beat in this situation. It's even better in D-23 but that was not one of the choices.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always used ID11 at Stock (That way you can reuse the developer for up to 10 rolls), what differences can I expect between using it at stock and 1:1?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think that the end result is mostly the same.

It just seems easier to me to always use fresh and not have to think too much about adjusting the development time to compensate for prior usage. Of course, development times are longer when diluted 1+1...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Simple enough, i just slap a label with 1-10 on it and cross one out each time. add 10% for each use. gets 20-30 rolls out of 1l instead of 6-9.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishy View Post
    Simple enough, i just slap a label with 1-10 on it and cross one out each time. add 10% for each use. gets 20-30 rolls out of 1l instead of 6-9.
    I also prefer D76/ID11 undiluted not just for economy but also for the look. I find 10% per additional film a bit too much (although I know Ilford recommends this) and tend to add about 5% per roll. Some people claim it's sharper 1:1, well maybe so but the grain of HP5+ is still extremely sharp in 1:0 in my opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Delta 3200 & DD-X

Shot this last Tuesday. Medium format, though.

Delta 3200 & EI 3200, developed according to Ilford recommendation at 6400.

Mamiya 645 & 150mm lens at f/5.6

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01 Erin.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin