Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,679   Online: 883

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While almost any film can produce good portraits in the right hands, I've noticed that most films that are recommended especially for that work have a long toe. None of the films you listed in your original post was in that category. Probably the most common modern film of that type is Kodak Professional Tri-X 320 (TXP). It works well with ID-11.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thomas - Medium format is going to look very different to 35mm. A bit grainy to you will be a grainy pile of junk to me.
    Nworth, You'll struggle to get Tri-X 320 in this country. What i've got is a pretty extensive selection of all of the "Larger" films easily availible here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very sorry about that. Here is a 24x36mm crop of the medium format neg, this time scanned, just for comparison.
    - Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Wishy View Post
    Thomas - Medium format is going to look very different to 35mm. A bit grainy to you will be a grainy pile of junk to me.
    Nworth, You'll struggle to get Tri-X 320 in this country. What i've got is a pretty extensive selection of all of the "Larger" films easily availible here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 04 Erin 24x36.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You didn't list them, but for what you're looking for I immediately thought of FP-4 in x-tol.

I'd avoid filters or any other fussy things when doing portraits.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nothing beats Ilford XP2 for people pics.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Thomas. Thats quite interesting. While its grainy as hell and you wouldn't expect to do any enlargement on it, nor could you effectively remove any skin blemishes, the grain itself conceles anything you might want to remove. Comlpletely different way of going about it. Did you soup in ID11?

Eric, I did think XP2. I hate the stuff in general use, but it does do well for portraits. Unfortunately I dumped whatever C41 B&W I had on ebay. Doh! (Bought a bulk load which included Kodak Portra 400 BW).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll chip in, with my Faves
    I love Neopan 400. seems to handle highlights wonderfully, I process in either Rodinal or Microphen depending on grain.
    (below is Rodinal)

T-Max might be quite good, certainly fine grain at the loss of some fine detail.

Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mark, what was the TMax processed in?

Any chance of a 100% crop on them? The Neospan 400 in Rodinal was a lot less grainy than i would have expected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wishy the Neopan 400 was in Rodinal 1:50 10 mins with agitation for first min, then 2 inversions per min.
    It is sharp and has good grain up to about 8x10, Neopan is a much underrated film IMO
    The T-Max I normally dev in T-max dev although recently I've been using Microphen, and Rodinal (which works surprisingly well) .
    I think the one above was in Microphen.
    I think the smooth look you want would be best with T-Max 100 in Kodak T-Max dev especially as you are working with 35mm.
    Just my opinion.
    Mark

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin