Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,082   Online: 905

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

What toner is this?

I'm using this unknown toner called "Blue Toner" and it's making my prints dark bluish. After sepia toning and then using this toner, my prints become red instead. What kind of toner is this?
    Last edited by cotdt; 03-03-2008 at 01:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    BTW I think it was made in the 1950's or 60's, the bottle looks ancient. I got it for $2. What is this toner and would it give protection to my prints?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gold toner, used on Warm tone paper will go blue, on a sepia toned image red.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blue toner and copper are not archival, neither will give you more print protection. I think it's a standard blue toner and what you are getting is just a reaction to sulphide toner having another kind of silver compound, probably this behavior will change more or less evidently if you change the kind of paper.

BTW, althought Ian is right, I don't think it's gold toner because depending what formulation and paper it won't turn always to blue, and if you tone first with it, standard sepia with standard bleach shouldn't do too much (never tried) .AFAIK gold toner was always clearly labeled, as well as blue (also know as indigo) toner.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Muihlinn; 03-03-2008 at 02:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: 'cos I can
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's a really old package that just says "Kodak Blue Toner" without any sort of description. How do I tell if this is a blue toner or gold toner? Any tests I can do?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
    It's a really old package that just says "Kodak Blue Toner" without any sort of description. How do I tell if this is a blue toner or gold toner? Any tests I can do?
    I remember reading an old Kodak book, and in that there was a description on how to make red images..

first brown tone - then blue tone it...

however it depends on what type of paper you use to get this effect.

I also remember a recipie for this blue toner - and it was far from the one I make....

I'll lokk for the book - but can't promise anything
    (and I of course could remember wrong...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it says blue toner, then it's a blue toner, not a gold one...pretty simple.

However, the gentlemen below will clarify this...
    Last edited by PVia; 03-03-2008 at 04:24 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: foot in mouth

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    but question is, is it iron-based blue toner or gold-based blue toner? it's confusing because some blue toner formulas use gold chloride, others ferric ammonium citrate. i wonder if there is some kind of test i can do to tell the difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    Not necessarily, the Kodak T-26 blue toner was (is) a gold toner.

To cotdt. I take it from your description that this is a single bottle of solution that is used directly? If so, it will probably be a gold toner (the red colour when combined with sepia is expected with gold toner, whereas sepia combined with iron-blue toners gives green tones).

Iron-blue toners are usually supplied as several solutions that are mixed before use, as they are stable separately, but only last a day or two once mixed.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The kind of behavior you describe (dark blue on direct toning, reddish when used after sepia toning) only describes a gold toner, AFAIK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin