Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,324   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Plus and Minus Development Percentages

Stimulated by a couple of recent threads and some testing I've been doing, I'm just wondering what people are finding *in general* for N+1 N+2 N-1 and N-2 development, given as percentages of Normal. Do you find it depends highly on the developer, or do the percentages stay pretty much the same?

Tim
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use 15% for traditional films and 10% for T-grain films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    I use 15% for traditional films and 10% for T-grain films.
    That would be for +1 and -1? This is less than I would have expected.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    yes +1 is 15% more development

-1 is 15% less development

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Most developer manufacturers will provide augmented development times for their film, such as Kodak's literature available on their website, but your getting some pretty good numbers here. It's mostly trial and personal preference after time.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Tim,

My tests for 4x5 T-Max 100 shakes out as:

N+1 = +25%
    N+2 = +44%

N-1 = -12.5%
    N-2 = -31%

I can't provide any insight to the second part of your question because I've only tested thoroughly with D-76 (1:1). I'll be doing some testing with Microdol-X sometime in the not too distant future. I've been reading that it has some pretty decent compensating affect with TMX.

Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    Tim,

My tests for 4x5 T-Max 100 shakes out as:

N+1 = +25%
    N+2 = +44%

N-1 = -12.5%
    N-2 = -31%

I can't provide any insight to the second part of your question because I've only tested thoroughly with D-76 (1:1). I'll be doing some testing with Microdol-X sometime in the not too distant future. I've been reading that it has some pretty decent compensating affect with TMX.

Chuck
    Interesting- these are some pretty different numbers- close to what's recommended for the minusses but quite a bit more than the general recommendations for your plusses. And with a T-grain film too......

Tim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think that the percentage figures are rough numbers. Unless you do your own tests, everything is a rough approximation. I suggest that you use development times that are easy to remember and intuitive, e.g. times like 4 minutes, 5.8 minutes, 8 minutes, 11 minutes.

I did TMAX 100 4x5 testing with TMAX 100 developer using the BTZS process with the results measured by the View Camera Store. My results in BTZS tubes at 75 degrees differed quite a bit from published numbers but seem consistent.

For minus through normal development, I use TMAX RS developer at 1:9 dilution. For plus development I use 1:4 dilution. The processing times range from 4 minutes in dilute developer for minus development to as long as 16 minutes in stronger developer for plus development. I can range from about N-2 to N+2.

Don't forget that film speed changes with development, in my case by a considerable degree. Film speed is slower with contracted development and higher with expanded development.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For minus through normal development, I use TMAX RS developer at 1:9 dilution. For plus development I use 1:4 dilution. The processing times range from 4 minutes in dilute developer for minus development to as long as 16 minutes in stronger developer for plus development. I can range from about N-2 to N+2...
    Anyone else use dilution to push 'n pull?

I used to use HC-110 at various dilutions and a set development time and temperature (6 minutes 20C). [Since I've gone more primitive (SF lenses and salt or vdb printing) most stuff gets dilution A or stronger to pop the contrast and increase the negative density range.]

Anyone have contrast index or G-bar numbers for N, N+, etc.,? I should have some to compare in a couple days as I work through some tests.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would have to go with Porters numbers - 10 and 15 percent has not worked for me - that is just the compensation for variations in temperature - not a significant density change - at least for developers that normally take 10 minutes to get to N
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin