Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,571   Online: 785

Shooter
    35mm

AGFA Multicontrast substitute.

Here I go, with another post...

I am looking for a developer, which can substitute for AGFA Multicontrast developer. Specifically, I am looking for a developer which is suitable for machine tank processing (I own and use and AGFA Rapiline 66 processor), which I can mix from scratch, from bulk chemicals.

No, I am not interested in any of the products available as ready-made liquid concentrates; supplies have become just about impossible to find, and I am having problems getting ANYBODY to even order case lots. I have tried Bromophen as a tank solution, but it oxidizes too quickly, whereas developers made for machine processing will last nearly forever, as long as they have regular turnover and regular replenishment. The Rapiline has a 4.5 Gal/17L tank, so regular dumping of generic paper developers designed for tray use is also not an option.

So, if anybody has a solution for me (no pun intended), I would like to hear from you. If somebody has had experience using something like Bromophen, and replenishing it, please ring in; I would be interested in hearing about your experiences.

At the risk of getting flamed, I am not interested in well-meaning, but inappropriate, responses from people who suggest something that they have "heard about," but never tried; please don't bother with, "...developer X should work..." I have been a photographer for more than 30 years, and I can say that there is no substitute for experience. There is also a ginormous difference between theoretical photography and practical photography...but I digress.

Shooter
    35mm
    So are you wanting to mix a product from scratch or do you want a powder that can be replenished in machine processing?

Shooter
    35mm
    I am looking for a developer formula which I can mix from scratch. A ready-made powder is an option, if it can be made to work, and can be replenished.

I prefer concentrates, but buying (and importing) powders can be easier, as well as easier on the wallet, as they are rarely categorized as HAZMAT products. Liquid concentrates are great, but you can pay a lot to have water shipped a long distance.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin