Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,358   Online: 1123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

good paper developer recommendations (asks a Dektol user)

Hi

I'm about to purchase some Dektol, and thought "why not try something different"

So, if anyone has any other recommendations for me to try its for contact developing Ilford Portfolio RC paper. (which I have never used yet)

Thanks
    Theory: you understand why it should work but it doesn't
    Practice: it works but you have no idea how
    Here theory and practice meet, things don't work and I don't know why
    Homepages: here Blog: here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not Ilford Multigrade or PQ Universal.

Ian

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you might consider LPD, great tray life, also, can be used in various dilutions ratios for changing tones
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I don't use Dektol, I use Ansco 130. I actually like the 130 better, but forget to always have it on hand.
    Plus I got a great deal on several 5 gallon boxes of Dektol.
    Mike
    Last edited by mikebarger; 03-05-2008 at 10:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    For every developer on the market, you'll find somebody who recommends it, although some only for certain papers, subjects, etc. Personally, I use the mix-it-yourself DS-14 and its commercial cousin, Tektol. I'm drawn to them largely because they're phenidone/ascorbate (PC) developers, which are safer (from health and environmental perspectives) than metol/hydroquinone (MQ) developers like Dektol. This health and safety difference is small, but as DS-14 and Tektol do the job as well as Dektol for me, I might as well use the PC developer.

That said, if you're trying a new paper, as I read your post as saying, then I'd recommend you stick with a developer you know, at least for the moment. If you switch both paper and developer at the same time, you won't really know if any differences you see are because of the paper alone, the developer alone, or an interaction between the two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PolymaxT is a great developer to nail that perfectly neutral black. 130 followed by selenium toning is right now my favorite paper chemistry.

But as was said before, all products on the market are good, not that different from each other, unless you really know what you want from your workflow.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Liquidol works good, lasts a long time, it's available from the Formulary. It was invented by a well-respected APUG member. It's packaged as a liquid concentrate so it's a little less hassle to use than Dektol.
    I can't tell the difference between prints processed in Ansco 130 and Liquidol.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've used Liquidol as well and it looks really good.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sprint chemicals are easy to use and yield awesome results. I've used them for years.
    http://sprintsystems.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've always used Dektol or it's predecessor, D-72. It works great so, never looked any further.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin