Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,689   Posts: 1,482,372   Online: 770

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

outdated film exposure

Hello,

I recently came across an outdated roll of azopan 100 (dated 02/1992). It wasn't refrigerated, as I found it in an old shoe box in my closet.

What are the chances of success when exposing a long-outdated film? Any idea how much I should compensate the exposure?

Many thanks,
    Andrew

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think the best way to deal with an old "mystery" film is to shoot it "for fun", that is accept that there could be faults, such as losing one or two stops of its dynamic range. Find a subject that would be enhanced if defects are present and meter and develop conservatively, maybe rating it a bit lower. Think of it as an experiment. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for your reply, arigram.

The film is going to be shot just for fun. I don't really expect any results from it, but it's worth a (documented) try.

Being outdated for so long, I was wondering if I'd have to rate it lower than 1-2 stops (like ISO 50 or 25).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot a Kodak film which was 34 YEARS OUT OF DATE. I developed it for ~15-20% longer than recommended - which, on inspecting the negs- was too long. Try developing for 5-10% than recommended. Film rated at box ASA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If commerical place processing it rate it down by only 1/3-1/2 a stop - or just shoot it at its rated speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just shot some Royal-x-pan dated 1976, whilst it had high base fog the negs were printable:
    Photo-Utopia/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Antony View Post
    cool blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you.
    I try my best

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was finally able to develop and scan the film (I know, it took me a lot). I exposed it as recommended by the producer and developed it for 8 mins at 20°C in a metol-based developer, similar to the recommended one.

For the moment, I uploaded just one scan. More will be coming soon. Here it is.

Thanks for the advices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See, no problem. Guess what - have just finished my second roll of October 1971 expired film. Lets hope more negs keep the emulsion on them this time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin