Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,285   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Dissolving powdered developer in glycol?

I found a local source for propylene glycol. Does any one have experience dissolving powered developer in it? I'm having xtol in mind. Since it comes in such large packet, it would be nice if dissolving it in propylene glycol instead of hot water can make the stock last much longer. I know the staining developer Pyrocat-HD comes in two ways, one in water and one in glycol. I read the glycol version can last for years.

Thanks
    j

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Microwave it to 250F and add your chemistry one at a time with a magnetic stirrer
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    35mm

Magnetic stirer?

What's magnetic stirer? What does it do special?

Images
    Not all of the parts of XTOL will dissolve in glycol. There are in fact parts of each packet that will not dissolve in glycol. If you want the long life of the glycol stock, look up Jordan Wosnick's posts about Mytol Quick.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pat -- "Instant MYTOL" actually.

Powdered XTOL, along with most other powder developers, is probably over 80% sodium sulfite by weight, and sodium sulfite does not dissolve to an appreciable extent in propylene or ethylene glycol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of you don't realize how hot 250 F is. That is nearly 40 degrees F hotter than boiling water and any splash or spill will be instant injury, especially if there is a chemical dissolved in the glycol.

Please be careful, as this is dangerous stuff. Ascorbic acid in PG or EG is a dangerous thing at 250F. And, EG is a poison to boot. Dont inhale any of the fumes. If you can, use PG insted of EG.

PE

Shooter
    35mm

hot glycol

Thanks for the warning. Very kind. I did some browsing and found remarks about propylene glycol (PG) saying that when heated that hot it can produce a toxic and combustible fume. Sounds like very dangerous stuff for the average person.

But it's a disappointment that powdered developers don't go in PG. The ingredients of Ilford DDX obviously do go in, as DDX is a concentrate in PG (or so I read.) What are the chemicals in DDX? May be we can make our own DDX with PG. BTW, I found PG locally for $7 a gallon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, then ingredients in HC-110 do dissolve in PG and other ingredients, so Kodak does know how to do it. It is the choice of ingredients and developer type that determines what can be made, a powder or a liquid (syrup). I just formulated a Dektol equivalent into a syrup with special ingredients so I know what can be done and how to do it. You can make a concentrate that is stable by mixing at just slightly above room temperature. You don't need that high temperature.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackc View Post
    Thanks for the warning. Very kind. I did some browsing and found remarks about propylene glycol (PG) saying that when heated that hot it can produce a toxic and combustible fume. Sounds like very dangerous stuff for the average person.

But it's a disappointment that powdered developers don't go in PG. The ingredients of Ilford DDX obviously do go in, as DDX is a concentrate in PG (or so I read.) What are the chemicals in DDX? May be we can make our own DDX with PG. BTW, I found PG locally for $7 a gallon.
    When I mix photo chemistry with glycol as the solvent, I use warm 100F - 120F glycol. I use a water bath to warm the glycol.

Here is link for the DDX MSDS. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/ms...d/b&w/DD-X.PDF

I expect that the DDX chemicals which would be difficult to dissolve in glycol are:
    Potassium Sulfite
    Sodium Tetraborate
    Boric Acid

All 3 of these chemicals are water soluble.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    Of course my comment was not meant to say that a working equivalent of XTOL could not be put up in an organic solvent. It's just that the ingredients of packaged XTOL powder won't all dissolve in glycol or di- or triethanolamine. You could dissolve dimezone or phenidone, ascorbic acid or isoascorbic acid, use triethanolamine as alkali, and temper the pH if necessary with propylene glycol. This leaves sulfite out, but for many uses it is not necessary, and in any case it can be added at time of dilution. You could as well use only PG as solvent in the stock and keep a second stock of sulfite and metaborate in water solution. This water solution will have a reasonably long shelf life.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin