Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,674   Online: 953

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

TMAX Vs Delta... Whats the difference?

Newbie question here...
    I have used both TMAX (100 & the old 400) and also Delta 400 35mm roll film, and dont really see much of a difference.
    I have been develloping both with the same chemicals (TMAX Dev, Ilford Rapid Fixer and Kodak Hypo and rinse aid) and apart from slight dev time differences, they both appear about the same to my (untrained) eyes...

What is the difference between the 2?
    Is 1 better than another for certain conditions?
    Why would you choose 1 over the other? (excluding cost)

I'm trying to decide which film to commit to using long term as I think using different types may slow my learning down untill I fully understand each different film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very short and slightly over-general:

Delta films are slightly grainier.
    Delta films have slightly better tonality.
    Delta films are slightly more forgiving of processing errors.

There are more similarities than differences, but the films are not identical.

Stick with one. Get to know it well. Try the other in earnest once you have mastered the first.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My personal view of Ilford is that it's very contrasty and has an "old" look to it (ISO 100.)
    TMAX (done in TMAX developer) is very silky and smooth (100 & 400.)

Just my ¥2
    Those who know, shoot film

Interesting question raised by Nathan, and one that has been discussed in various forums for as long as there has been film.....Do the various qualities ascribed to the films in question translate into any easily noticed differences in the prints made from each? Same scene, same negative density achieved via correct development, "correct" exposures and development during printing....you get the drift...a given film in one's hands might be easier to use in whatever "system" one is using, but one wonders if the prints would look any different...simply asking...

Ed

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If you continue not to see a difference as your work improves, consider the stance of the companies producing the film and related products. This subject has also been hashed before, but many of us feel that Kodak has forsaken film photography with one or two exceptions. Ilford has come back from bankruptcy and shown every sign of support to film photography that will continue to make them profitable. They won't stay in business if they don't make a profit. Both companies made good film related products. Kodak has dropped many of them to go digital. Ilford has added many new ones including buying Kentmere an excellent photo paper provider. It is your decision. I have made mine.

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys!
    Basically, I wanst sure which one to learn on first...
    I think I'll go with Ilford simply because I can bulk buy in lots of 50 from B&H, where I dont think you have that option with TMAX...
    Also your right John, I prefer to give my support to those who consistantly support us.
    I'll learn and understand Ilford films, and then try the TMAX again and see the differences...
    Thanks for your feedback!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    the films have slightly different red sensitivities. i've read that as men grow older, they become less sensitive for red. so i would say TMAX is for old people and DELTA is for the younger boys.

Shooter
    35mm
    Delta it is!

Well, I can still see Red....and I venture to say that I might be the oldest on this thread :}......

Stay well.

ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are like two good orchestras playing different arrangements of the same piece of music. Same but different and both good.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin