Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,331   Online: 998
      
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Andrew Moxom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Keeping the British end up in Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,870
    Images
    333

    New TMAX400 and Pyrocat

    I have a question for Sandy King, or anyone who may know and tested this combination? I've just received a batch of TMY-2 in 120 and I want to test with Pyrocat HD. Sandy gave me good pointers last year for the prior version of TMY in P/Cat, but wanted to know if I could soup the TMY-2 film for the same time?

    I currently rate the film at box speed, then pre soak for 3 minutes at 72 Deg F. I then use P/Cat HD in glycol mixed 1:1:100 at 72 deg F and set timer for 16 minutes.

    I agitate constantly for 2 minutes, then again for 10 seconds at 12 mins, 8 mins, and 4 mins respectively.

    Is this still a good starting point for TMY-2 aswell, or do I need to decrease, or increase my times? The negs are for a dichroic head enlarger, printing mostly on VC and occasionally on graded papers.

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    I have a question for Sandy King, or anyone who may know and tested this combination? I've just received a batch of TMY-2 in 120 and I want to test with Pyrocat HD. Sandy gave me good pointers last year for the prior version of TMY in P/Cat, but wanted to know if I could soup the TMY-2 film for the same time?

    I currently rate the film at box speed, then pre soak for 3 minutes at 72 Deg F. I then use P/Cat HD in glycol mixed 1:1:100 at 72 deg F and set timer for 16 minutes.

    I agitate constantly for 2 minutes, then again for 10 seconds at 12 mins, 8 mins, and 4 mins respectively.

    Is this still a good starting point for TMY-2 aswell, or do I need to decrease, or increase my times? The negs are for a dichroic head enlarger, printing mostly on VC and occasionally on graded papers.

    Thanks in advance
    I have had somewhat mixed results. When I compared the old TMY to TMY-2 with 120 roll film in Pyrocat-HD I got lower contrast with the new film. However, when I compared the old and new T-MAX 400 films in 4X5 sheet film, the results were about the same in terms of contrast. I have slightly more confidence in the sheet film results because it is the film currently being sold and marked TMY-2, whereas the 120 film was an experimental emulsion.

    Based on the above, I would suggest that you just use your existing development information and you won't be far off.

    Sandy

  3. #3
    Andrew Moxom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Keeping the British end up in Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,870
    Images
    333
    Thanks Sandy, that was quick!!! I'll try it with my standard time, and increase if I need to.

    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I have had somewhat mixed results. When I compared the old TMY to TMY-2 with 120 roll film in Pyrocat-HD I got lower contrast with the new film. However, when I compared the old and new T-MAX 400 films in 4X5 sheet film, the results were about the same in terms of contrast. I have slightly more confidence in the sheet film results because it is the film currently being sold and marked TMY-2, whereas the 120 film was an experimental emulsion.

    Based on the above, I would suggest that you just use your existing development information and you won't be far off.

    Sandy

  4. #4
    Andrew Moxom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Keeping the British end up in Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,870
    Images
    333
    Update, I souped some 120 TMY-2 in Pyrocat HD 1:1:100 yesterday. I rated the film at box speed, and bracketed some shots as they involved snow and high contrast. Anyway, I carried out my usual processing steps:-

    Pre rinse for 3 minutes at 72 Deg f and agitate for minute and let sit for 2.
    Pour out rinse water.
    Mixed PCat 1:1:100 @ 72 Deg F
    Set timer for 16 minutes.

    Poured in dev and agitated constantly for 2 minutes.

    I then agitated for 10 seconds @ 12 minutes, 8 minutes, and 4 minutes respectively.

    stop, rinse, and fix as usual.

    So far negs look crisp and fairly close to what I got from the older TMY. Printing them will let me see the difference in performance, but so far so good.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin