Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,926   Online: 1010

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. Hal9000's post gives me hope that storing the part "A" powerder is possible. I was using a very small "tupperwear" box, with a very tight fitting lid, that appeared very air tight. I am not sure how moisture got in.

I guess I'll try to find a better way to ensure that the stored chemical is better sealed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'n case you haven't noticed theres a lotta water in the air here in Atlanta, especially the summertime!
    Even a small container like Tupperware will have enough water in the volume of air to mess with a hygroscopic chemical. Try a small ziplock bag with the chemical rolled up to push the air out, place that in the Tupperware with a silica dessicant pack and you will have as much protection as a person can give it on the cheap.
    BTW it's getting about time to plan some Apug outings for the Southeast region. Seen any good places lately?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What about storing the resealed powder in the freezer? If the water is frozen will it still reap the havoc?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Might make it worse, as the air cools it saturates and water condenses out of it, who knows where it goes from there. A cool environment is more favorable for chemical storage though. You just need to be sure the air is dry or expelled when storing it in the fridge. Then you need to let it warm thoroughly before opening, same precautions as for film. I would only go to such trouble if I were storing for very long term, if at all.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think I am leaning toward these nalgene bottles. The material is supposed to be very good at not being porous to external air.

http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Square...5094265&sr=8-3

Good point about a dessicant and plastic wrap. I may get a slightly larger bottles than I need, and wrap, then place in the bottles.

Game for some shooting somewhere, Gary... what are you in the mood for? More waterfalls, or something different?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I think I am leaning toward these nalgene bottles. The material is supposed to be very good at not being porous to external air.

http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Square...5094265&sr=8-3

Good point about a dessicant and plastic wrap. I may get a slightly larger bottles than I need, and wrap, then place in the bottles.

Game for some shooting somewhere, Gary... what are you in the mood for? More waterfalls, or something different?
    I put a post in the regionals about going back to Sloss. I would love it if someone with the right connections could secure permission for a junkyard shoot or something similar. Someone in the SPS got one up several years ago and it was a lot of fun and turned out some very good abstracts.
    You could get some pretty good rock abstracts in karst gorges and steep cascades. I was taken to a place called Honey Hollow a long while back that had some fantastic erosional shapes to it but I have no idea how to find the place.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd like to reiterate and expand upon "Gadget" Gainer's and Tom Hoskinson's points:

If you're dead set on using real XTOL and mixing up partial batches, you might consider trying a vacuum sealer to store the powders. I use a Pump-n-Seal for storing liquid developers. It might just help preserve powders, too.

Another option would be to mix the XTOL at twice the usual concentration -- that is, mix a 5-liter package to make 2.5 liters. I've heard that XTOL will just barely dissolve in that quantity of water, but I've never tried it myself. Doing it this way might help it to last longer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Jeff,

At $10/year (at least at Calumet) mix up 5 liters in 1L bottles and toss what you don't use. If the special project is not worth tossing $6 worth of developer it's not worth doing.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm

Put it in glycol?

Gainer pointed out earlier that dividing the powder into smaller portions may not be a good idea in that all the chemical ingredients in either packets may not divide evenly. But if that's what you want to do, you might add some propylene glycol to each portion and store them in bottles. Gainer mentioned that the chemicals in XTOL won't dissolve in glycol, but at least the glycol will keep the chemicals from moisture and air while adding no side effects to the developing properties. When you use it, just add water to make the right quantity of the solution. I would've tried this myself, except I doubt that you should divide powder in the first place. I like Ilford DDX. Too bad it does not come in a powder. Some say Microphen is close. But it looks very different to me. There's magic in DDX. No idea what it is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin