Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,691   Online: 926

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Store "XTOL" Powders?

I obtained some XTOL a while back (to make 5 liters, I believe), and thought I would be keen and measure out 1/5th of each of the two powder packets, and make just a liter of solution. My thought was, I could store the remaining chemical in two plastic air tight plastic containers. Well, it has been maybe 6 months, and the chemical in one container has become like a "cake", and maybe even a bit brown tinged in color. I'm sure it's no good. Sigh.

My question, is there a way to store these two components, once the original foil packets are opened? I am a low volume user, and making all the stock solution, and then letting it sit on the shelf, in bottles, would result in waste as well, at the rate I use it.

Any ideas?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Many unused stock solutions will last a long time in brown glass bottles, filled to the very top, and kept at a constant temperature in a dark place. Recently I found a six year old pint of D23 stock back under my sink. It was clear, tested ok, and worked fine. It's not supposed to happen--but it did.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Many unused stock solutions will last a long time in brown glass bottles, filled to the very top, and kept at a constant temperature in a dark place. Recently I found a six year old pint of D23 stock back under my sink. It was clear, tested ok, and worked fine. It's not supposed to happen--but it did.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Yeah, but, to be honest, I only have a special application that I need XTOL for, and I would probably only use a couple of liters a year. In stock solution, in tightly capped full bottles, I think this developer is only supposed to last a year, maybe a little more some have said.

I hoped that by mixing only what I need, I could preserve the chemicals and mix more solution later.

My guess is the chemicals must be extremely unstable once the packages are opened. I don't even know if it is possible to seal that chemical up to save it for mixing later, once you've opened the foil pouch.

My part "A" powder, still in it's sealed box I placed it in, is hard like a slightly brown cookie!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought some 25L packages and then split them up into 1L portions. The important thing is to keep moisture away from part A, it absorbs moisture from the air and gets all caked up. I wrapped the portions tightly in double plastic bags and taped them closed. I just cut them open when I want to mix up some and it has worked fine for me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I quit using XTOL because I could not keep it a reasonable time even in the original package.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...that's weird. i've just rolled the pack up and put an elastic around it and every 3 months dip into it to make 1.5 with no issues. i would imagine that an air tight bag would do the trick. however, the xtol i'm referring to had two large glossy-type bags of solution a and b. the older matt-like bags have the really small bag of solution a and big bag of solution b. which one are you referring to?

Images
    How are you sure that the dry chemicals are homogeneous enough to allow mixing only part? Each packet has several chemicals.

You might consider mixing Mytol from scratch.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I obtained some XTOL a while back (to make 5 liters, I believe), and thought I would be keen and measure out 1/5th of each of the two powder packets, and make just a liter of solution. My thought was, I could store the remaining chemical in two plastic air tight plastic containers. Well, it has been maybe 6 months, and the chemical in one container has become like a "cake", and maybe even a bit brown tinged in color. I'm sure it's no good. Sigh.

My question, is there a way to store these two components, once the original foil packets are opened? I am a low volume user, and making all the stock solution, and then letting it sit on the shelf, in bottles, would result in waste as well, at the rate I use it.

Any ideas?
    You can avoid these storage problems by switching from XTOL to Instant Mytol (I prefer the concentrated organic solution version).

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...ant-mytol.html
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had a two part developer in plastic bags (as supplied by maker) for 25 years. One component is slowly oxidizing and also has a slight brown tint. It still works fine although it is a universal developer which I only use for paper.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richard ide View Post
    I have had a two part developer in plastic bags (as supplied by maker) for 25 years. One component is slowly oxidizing and also has a slight brown tint. It still works fine although it is a universal developer which I only use for paper.
    Yours is probably an MQ developer - with no Ascorbate or ascorbic acid in either packet.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin