Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,219   Online: 1056

Shooter
    35mm

TRI X 400 PUSH 1600 (DEVELOPER? T MAX, D76, RODINAL...)

Hi
    I want to push Tri x 400 to 1600 ASA. Which developer would you prefer? Time of develop.? agitation?

thank you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess I'd use Tmax developer or better still Xtol, Kodak publish their recommendations on the internet here

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Google and save "The Massive Development Chart".
    I like it done with D-76.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have tried with both Microphen and D-76. I generally liked the Microphen results better in terms of shadow detail.

Here are my times:

Microphen: stock (1:0), 12 minutes at 20°C. 30 secs initial then 2 gentle inversions every other minute.
    D-76: stock (1:0) 9.5 minutes at 20°C. 30 secs initial agitation then 2 gentle inversion every minute.

I have attached a sample with D-76. I don't have Microphen scans right now, but I can certainly make one if you are interested.

Good luck!

Stefano
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kodak_TriX_Dec2005_0011.jpg  
    Stefano Ricciardi
    My photos on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer Acufine for this, but there are many choices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Rodinal is fun. D76 works. HC-110 is next on my list to try. I have times for Dilution B.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I think it depends on what you want-high contrast, grainy photo- journalistic looking images akin to 1960's rock concert stuff or a smoother total range with manageable grain and highlights. I like diafine very much for the later. You actually get a 1600 speed film while keeping your grain relatively unobtrusive and your highlights tame and printable.

I've blew some of these up to 20x24 and they look fine In fact, the shadow detail is amazing:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...25&ppuser=2517
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using d-76 1:1 at 14min, agitate 30sec sit 45. I've been doing it for years and it works well for me. Mind you they're usually rock shows and to me, if tri-x was music it would probably be punk rock. It all depends one what you shoot and what the mood is. If I were shooting a jazz gig, I'd probably shoot with tmax 400 or something less grainy.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin