Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,456   Online: 997

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I keep a Staedtler marker in my camera bag. I mark the end of the film with the number of exposed frames, if I mid roll rewind. I write +2 on the canister if I am pushing the film.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm

No Sharpies in Germany

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Well, it took me up to post #10 to understand what your are talking about.
    Never ever heard of a sharpie.
    I'm sure an advanced nation like Germany has something equivalent. They are a hard felt tipped pen that use an almost instant drying alcohol based ink in all the basic colors. It will adhere to any surface regardless of gloss.

Very, very useful!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We used Sharpies at the lab to mark nearly everything. We got a new office manager who insisted that Sharpies were too expensive and made us buy cheapie ones. Every one of us went out and bought our own Sharpie brand Sharpies with our own money. They are the greatest!
    I mark the back of prints with a pencil to know how they were printed (filter, f-stop, time), but everything else is marked with a Sharpie.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I guess the generic term would be permanent marker.

However, the German company which holds the local market had once exchanged the high volatile solvent for something they call less smelly. The effect of the changed ink formula is that it is much less permanent...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Real men don't use pens. They mark themselves with knives.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    35mm
    Pity. I thought I could say I was unique on APUG( nice to be unique occasionally even if it's for ignorance) in not knowing what a sharpie was but AgX beat me to it. So in keeping with AndyK's excellent point about the importance of country of origin, can any of the UK based posters let me know what are suitable makes and ink colours of sharpies in the U.K. Good job I read on. For a while I was convinced that it was simply a sharp pointed metal object like a large needle that you could score and remove the emulsion of the film at the leader's end so that the writing showed up on marking as clear both then and when developed.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just googled "Sharpie Pens" and found out they are just starting to be sold in GR.Br. Try Woolsworth or Staples.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What would one use to mark directly the negative?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use these selfsame Sharpies manufactured by a company called "Sanford" to mark directly on the negative. They also make an "industrial" version which works on more surfaces and seems to be more water resistant--good for plastic things that go in the freezer, glass in the refrigerator, and such.

To remove Sharpie ink, if need be, I recommend naphtha.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    Good Evening,

Sharpies are great, as others have indicated above.

Even Sharpies, however, don't work very well for writing information on negatives--IF you want the written material to be easily readable on a contact sheet. The Sharpie ink, even the black ink, is apparently not quite opaque; I find that india ink is much more satisfactory for marking negatives. In addition, even the finest-point Sharpies are too blunt to use effectively on the limited clear space of 4 x 5 negatives, especially, again, if you want the any data to be clear on the contact sheet. Otherwise, Sharpies are terrific.

Konical

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin