Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,523   Online: 1010

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    I am ill, and I may not be making sense. The Pyrocat MC has no sulfite or bisulfite. The water solution is quite different from the glycol solution. Sulfite reduces the proportionality of the stain. You should search for Sandy King's posts about Pyrocat MC. I don't know why propylene gloycol should not be available in Australia. It is used in cosmetics, medicines for humans and other animals, as well as in safe antifreeze.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In Oz the antifreeze is ethylene glycol. Plus curious coloring agents. It would probably work just as well.

Hope the dreaded lurgy is wearing off. I picked up a nasty head cold from the grandkids (who else?) and am not 100% myself.

My biggest problem is to get the pyrocat here. I am doing a workaround since the XYL is going to alaska in Sep and hope to get supplies to her hotel in Vancouver during her brief stopovers.

As for availablity of 'common' chems here, they make the stuff in industrial amounts but finding a seller of small quantities is something else again.

Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    I am ill, and I may not be making sense. The Pyrocat MC has no sulfite or bisulfite. The water solution is quite different from the glycol solution. Sulfite reduces the proportionality of the stain. You should search for Sandy King's posts about Pyrocat MC. I don't know why propylene gloycol should not be available in Australia. It is used in cosmetics, medicines for humans and other animals, as well as in safe antifreeze.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Propylene glycol is generally available at an RV supply store. It is used to prevent drinking water from freezing.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Propylene glycol is generally available at an RV supply store. It is used to prevent drinking water from freezing.
    Surely you're not suggesting Propylene Glycol can be ingested? Are You? Can it?

I thought it was used in place of, or in combination with water in machinery radiator systems to prevent freezing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mixing directions for Pyrocat-MC
    Courtesy of Gainer

Stock A
    Propylene Glycol at 150F 750ml
    Pyrocatechin 50 g
    Metol 2.5g
    Ascorbic Acid 4.0g

Mixing directions. Start with about 8ml of TEA at room temperature and a spoonful of water. Now add 2.5 g of metol and stir to make a slurry. This is eventually going to make a liter but you can start in a 1/4 liter cup. After the slurry gets a little more fluid, add 15-20 ml of some warm propylene glycol. Now you can transfer the metol slurry to the 750ml of warm propylene glycol and stir until dissolved. Now add 50 grams of pyrocatechin and stir until dissolved. Add 4.0g of ascorbic acid and stir until dissolved.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    Surely you're not suggesting Propylene Glycol can be ingested? Are You? Can it?

I thought it was used in place of, or in combination with water in machinery radiator systems to prevent freezing.
    While I would not drink it directly, it is used as a solvent in the food industry, and as a non-toxic anti-freeze in breweries and dairy establishments. (From personal experience.)

"Taken internally, propylene glycol is harmless, probably because its oxidation yields pyruvic and acetic acids"
    Whitmore, Organic Chemistry (New York, 1951)
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Geeeezzz, another lie my mother taught me: "You can't drink antifreeze, it'll kill you."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    Geeeezzz, another lie my mother taught me: "You can't drink antifreeze, it'll kill you."

Bruce:There are several different chemicals used as antifreeze: Your mother was right about Methanol and Ethylene Glycol. Drinking Diethylene Glycol will make you very sick, but may not kill you.

Here is an Ethylene Glycol Material Safety Data Sheet.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/E5125.htm

Here is a Diethylene Glycol Material Safety Data Sheet.

http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Diet...glycol-9927514
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    sorry to interrupt ....

to start with the metol first, do i prep the water with a pinch of sodium sulfite or use a pinch of the sodium metabisulphite?

thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by el wacho View Post
    sorry to interrupt ....

to start with the metol first, do i prep the water with a pinch of sodium sulfite or use a pinch of the sodium metabisulphite?

thanks.
    Neither, I Agree with Pat Gainer and Sandy King - best to mix Pyrocat M-C following the Recipe Sandy posted. After you react the Metol and ascorbic acid with a small amount of TEA (Triethanolamine) and water, it all goes into solution quite easily.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin