Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,513   Online: 1145

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike, please report back and tell us what you think after you've had a chance to try out the Plus-x. I wouldn't worry too much about the Ansel thing, today's Plus-x is pretty different from the film he shot and that is just one man's opinion anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    erikg,now my problem is finding Plus X.Small town New Brunswick makes it difficult to do much testing.If I can't find PlusX at a reasonable price I'll order FP4+ online.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never did like Plus-X, Fp4 gave me better results, AA might have been right on this one. Kodak should have dropped Plus-X instead of Panatomic-X. I wish Ilford Pan F was available in sheet but that's another story.

I prefer FP4 to Plus-X.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have found that Plus-X works really well in high contrast lighting. Developed in a compensating developer such as Pyrocat it will really shine under these conditions. It's also fantastic as a portrait film indoors, but its reciprocity characteristics has a very sharp curve when the times get long.
    I just printed a very high brightness range scene for a client, one of his negatives, 35mm shot on Plus-X. Developed commercially in Xtol of all things I got one of the nicest 11x14s I've ever made from 35mm.

Ilford FP4+ I always thought was my favorite film along with Tri-X. Somehow they feel like each other's cousins strangely enough. It has fine grain and works great in all kinds of lighting. It's a very versatile film.

I have a feeling you'll like both. Try it. It won't hurt.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't know why people are so down on Plus-x. It's a very good film once you nail a setting.
    Plus-x test
    Recent versions I've found are quite different to the old emulsion so if you are using old dev times, you may have to play around a bit to get the tonal range you like.
    I use Rodinal at 1:100 for 15 mins.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some nice stuff M.A.
    I'll have to track down a few rolls of Plus X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike, if you need a postal order from down here, you know where to find me.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most kind of you Michel.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format

Canadian mail-order film dealer suggestion.

Henry's [ Henrys.com ] often has in stock most of the films I seek. So far, I've seen free shipping offered for Dec. 2007 and Feb. 2008.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    erikg,now my problem is finding Plus X.Small town New Brunswick makes it difficult to do much testing.If I can't find PlusX at a reasonable price I'll order FP4+ online.
    I've bought a fair amount of 120 Plus X from Don's Photo in Canada. Their website indicates that they will sell it or FP4:

http://www.donsphoto.com/products.html#DHE:Catalog:Line:1480:Page:1:SortOn: brandept:8

Matt

P.S. the Search function to the lower left makes it much easier to use

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin