Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,388   Online: 736

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Plus X pan vrs. FP4+

I was told this afternoon that my local photo store won't be stocking any Ilford products for some time.Seems they can only place their order twice a year from their distributer.
    Thought I might try Kodak Plus X pan for a change.Can any member offer a comparison between this kodak film and Ilfords FP4+?

Thanks

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    FP 4 is glorious film and used by many discerning photographers.

Plus X on the other hand gave Ansel Adams pause to say Plus X maybe the worst film I've ever tried.

Cheers!
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    I was told this afternoon that my local photo store won't be stocking any Ilford products for some time.Seems they can only place their order twice a year from their distributer.
    Thought I might try Kodak Plus X pan for a change.Can any member offer a comparison between this kodak film and Ilfords FP4+?

Thanks

I don't have much experience with Plus X. But I highly recommend T-MAX 100 and Fuji Acros as replacements of a bout the same ASA for FP4+.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    FP 4 is glorious film and used by many discerning photographers.

Plus X on the other hand gave Ansel Adams pause to say Plus X maybe the worst film I've ever tried.

Cheers!
    Oh good grief! :rolleyes: Plus-x is likewise a "glorious film and used by many discerning photographers."

Buy a roll and try it. If you don't like it, go to plan B.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Davids got the "right" idea buy a roll or two or three and give it a try. I think film preference is very subjective, some films may work better for your style of shooting, developing, and printing than other film. A film that may work for me may not work for you. I have never had any luck with PanF+ but many others have, I don't think it is a "bad" film, just not one for me. I like Efke 25 if I want a slooooooowwwww film.

Oh yea-----Acros--great 100asa film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ansel Adams also hated William Mortensen as much as he hated Plus-X, so this might be a question of taste...

As for Plus-X, I have used it in HC-110 dil.h from the syrup, 9', 10s agitation each minute, and it is every bit as glorious as could be.

It's an upsewpt curve film, so you get really sparkling highlights and solid blacks. I did not like it in XTOL because it was kind of muted, but in HC-110 it's very nice. I think it's a great film to try in 120 because sparkling highlights go very well with smooth gradations.

In 35mm, I'm not sure yet, I have to use it a little more.

My favorite film is still APX 100 / Rollei Retro 100 in Rodinal 1+50, but I was heartened to see that Plus-X in HC-110 was something that I could like as much. It's different, but very pleasurable.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll take Dave's advice and buy a few rolls then develop them with Michele's recomendation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plus-x in d-76 1+1 has a lot of life to it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Oh good grief! :rolleyes: Plus-x is likewise a "glorious film and used by many discerning photographers."
    Wow!

If you're not using a pyro based developer than there really is no discussion!
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plus-X is a nice film. I like FP4 Plus better, but if it disappeared, I'd live with Plus-X. It has a nice tonality, especially developed in PMK.

I also like Fomapan 100. It's grainier, but it's got a really nice tonality.

I'd suggest trying some Plus-X, but consider mail ordering some FP4 Plus too. Adorama, B&H and Freestyle all ship reasonably economically to Canada, especially if you make bigger orders.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin