Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,805   Online: 831

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I've never noticed a bad odor by mixing those chemicals together and there is nothing particularly unusual about either one or both combined. You basically get some ammonia odor.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I first built my lab and tanked up my Ra-4 processor for the first time the developer and bleach mixed under the baths in the catchment with no wash water to drain it away. the smell was horrid
    I always assumed those chemicals when u mixed them made such a smell. maybe it was something else happening because the machine had been moth balled for so long before I reinstated it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I ran a Sitte dip and dunk I processed thousands of films each one does indeed have a different smell.
    The one I remember best is 120 Agfa Portrait 160 which had a strong smell of pear drops, (which were a kind of boiled sweet from my childhood).
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    When I first built my lab and tanked up my Ra-4 processor for the first time the developer and bleach mixed under the baths in the catchment with no wash water to drain it away. the smell was horrid
    I always assumed those chemicals when u mixed them made such a smell. maybe it was something else happening because the machine had been moth balled for so long before I reinstated it?

Maybe the trap was dry in the drain and you were exuding sewer odors from the drain.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Im enviro.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Maybe the trap was dry in the drain and you were exuding sewer odors from the drain.

PE
    Nope Im a good boy. I set my lab up so nothing can go directly into the drain. even wash water. Everything goes to silver recovery or filtration.
    I wanted to make sure I did the right thing by the environment.

~steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    How about the natural fragrance of Tri X sheet film??..EC
    The smell I never got tired of was when I opened a fresh 100 foot roll of EPN to reload our digital film recorder. It smelled like...pictures!

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Recently, without changing anything at all in my processing, I started to experience a nice fragrance coming from my stainless tank and reels. Don't ask, but it smells like opium. Go figure.

Jmal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just like the smell of Kodak film in general. Super Gold 400 can be nice.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    Recently, without changing anything at all in my processing, I started to experience a nice fragrance coming from my stainless tank and reels. Don't ask, but it smells like opium. Go figure.

Jmal
    My god your working in more than a photolab hehehehe. now im curious how do you know what opium smell like hehehe...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do like the aroma of fresh film when I first open the container.
    I know a guy who is a major record collector of 1960s 45s & he has said that he often enjoys sniffing his rare vinyl.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin