Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,740   Posts: 1,515,554   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

kodaks Sweet Odour

ok maybe I've been in the darkroom a little too long but theres something that happens when i develop Kodak HIE film in a Paterson tank which has always happened and I'm not sure what it is. (apart from possibly bad for my health)
    When I process Kodak HIE weather it be in ID-11, D-76, D-19, Rodinal....etc
    if im developing a few of the films in a tank and i pop the lid and pour out the developer a sweet smell is also released. has anyone else noticed this sweet odor? I really like it HAHAHAHA.

~Steve
    The Lighthouse Lab

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Steve,
    never with HIE, but when I develop the Arista.EDU 400 film, the one that's the same as Foma 400, it stinks of something no other film smells like. And that's after the pre-soak. I wish I could like how that smells...
    It's the only film I've noticed an odor from.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    How about the natural fragrance of Tri X sheet film??..EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The surfactant "Saponin" has a mild fruit or watermelon odor to it. That is the only chemical I can remember with any sort of odor that is used in film. It is used at such low concentration that I doubt if you could smell it. There is also a solvent used for the dye, but again the level is so low, you could not smell it and it would have evaporated during coating.

The 120 rolls contain a chemical in the paper backing that has a sweet smell. You can smell it at Kodak Park as a slight odor in the background, near several buildings. Or you used to, anyhow.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like Steve's in the right business.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Ron, the smell is defiantly there as you describe it is fruity! um you say its there in such a small amount, I'm curious if you are processing a large ammount you would smell it yes?
    Damn i wish I could invite you all over its not in my imagination its really there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, ethyl acetate is used as one solvent, and it has an odor of bananas, but it too would have evaporated during coating. I really don't know what you are smelling, but I believe you.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have noticed that sometimes getting photo chemicals on my hands brings out a smell of something I ate. Especially onions and garlic. If you had a bunch of that for dinner last night and then process sheet film, when you put your hands in the fix it smells strongly of garlic and onions. Yes I washed my hands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Selenium has an odor of garlic. Have you been hitting the toner too much?

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    hahahaha yes selenium does. I tell you the most noxious smell I've come across in the darkroom occurs from mixing hot Ra-4 developer with hot Ra-4 bleach fix.
    What an upsetting experience that is!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin