Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 824

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    Thomas,

Do you use a red safelight with the Emaks...?

How about the Slavich...anyone?

Thanks...

Some folks have reported using an OC with both without issues, but I use a Red. My issue with EMAKS VC is what filter set to use. I have Ilford and Dupont, the Dupont 9 and 10 seem to work best for grade 4. Freestyle sells a set for EMAKS, has anyone used them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Red safelight is mandatory for Emak. That paper is beautiful and is at his best with toning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just checked the descriptions again. It said that Emak was compatible with Red or OC safelights??? It said the Slavich was Red light only in big, red letters, exclamation point...LOL
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thomas,

Thanks...

I'm using a old kindermann screw in type red safelight + safelight torch and, did some lith prints (looong development times) the other night on Emaks and didn't see a hint of fogging. If your unsure do a safelight test by putting a piece of paper out in your work area, put something on top like a coin and expose it for awhile to the safelight. Then develop, fix the paper and take a look at it under good light. If you can't tell where the object was you're good to go.
    Last edited by paxette; 03-11-2008 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Red safelight yes. Not even a question for me. I always use red safelight no matter what paper I use.
    If anything I don't want the safelight to be a limiting factor in what paper I use. I do think, however, that it's the variable contrast cousin of Emaks - Varycon - that absolutely needs a red safelight.

Point is, it's beautiful paper.

- Thomas

Thomas,

Thanks...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Interesting regarding safelight and the Emaks....I read about the red safeligh only warning, and for a good many prints I used just red. However, as I like to develop to completion, I found that using on the red safe light made observation of the black tones a bit tough. Thus, I took out a sheet of Emaks, turned on the usual OC that I use for Ilford MG, and after a few minutes, developed the sheet. To my pleasure, I noted no fog. For succeeding prints I used BOTH the red and the OC safelights....no evidence at all of any fog on any of the prints. My OC light is in the ceiling, probably about 5-6 feet away from the enlarger easel; perhaps I was lucky without knowing why. I have NOT tried the OC light with the Slavich, but I think I will do an experiment with one sheet just to see if there is any effect. Of course, I have noted the warnings regarding red safe light only with Slavich as well.

Ed

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thomas,

Thanks...
    Paul, I've used both papers and use the red safelight as my standard.

I have noticed that the E-Maks graded is a little warmer than the Slavich. This is after Selenium toning 1:20 for about 6 minutes. I also found a slight difference in tone between the single weight Slavich and the double weight. All of my work was developed in Ansco 130 and fixed in TF-4. Both these papers are very good in my opinion. Take a look in my gallery if you would like to see some results.

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Emaks is great and it tones well in gold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    <snip>
    How about the Slavich...anyone? </snip>
    I have printed on Slavich Bromportrait and loved it! Most of all, I love the wonderful texture of the paper. It also has very little dry-down and responds quite well to Selenium. I've used it with a red safelight only.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alright, I couldn't decided so I ordered 25 sheet packs of the Fotokemika Emaks, the Slavich Unibrom, and the Slavich Bromportrait. All grade 2 for now just to try them out and since the majority of my prints so far I have been happiest with at grade 2 (yes, I have tried printing all on 3 and 4 as well for comparison). Also picked some Kentmere Rapid Selenium Toner and Ilford Warmtone Developer
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin