Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,417   Online: 1163

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Images
    At any price, Slavich is my favorite paper that I have ever used. The base paper is quite white, and the image produces a punchy depth with deep blacks and full tone. I find it most beautiful and easy to print on. However, it is quite contrasty, almost two grades more so than Ilford graded, so a relatively flat negative suited to the paper is important. Unlike Azo, the single weight is easy to manage with tongs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi jmcd, thanks for chiming in And thanks for the heads up on the contrast. I ended up going with the double weight paper thinking it would be easier to handle. Think I would have been better off with the single?
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Images
    The double weight is great, and is easier to handle. If you like the image on the double weight, try the single sometime and see how you like it. It looks good dry mounted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (showing how "green" I really am...) I didn't even realize there would be a difference in the image between single and double weights. Is it significant? Sadly, I probably wouldn't even notice a difference myself at this stage of the game.
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use Emaks all the time -- FABULOUS paper! It's especially good with Selectol/Dektol split developing to control the contrast nicely. And the tones are about as good as you can get on any paper. It's my preferred paper now, and that choice has nothing to do with the cost. Add that factor in, and it's a no-brainer!

Emaks is wonderful and I cannot recommend it strongly enough. You won't go wrong with it!
    Last edited by mmcclellan; 03-13-2008 at 05:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke View Post
    I want to try playing with some FB paper and toning but, still being very new don't want to spend the $$$ on Oriental or Ilford Gallerie since I'll just be blowing through it experimenting. Looking on Freestyle, Fotokemika Emaks and Slavich Unibrom seem to be the 2 cheapest graded FB papers. Any thoughts on one over the other or any others?
    Hi!

Emaks FB is my standard paper not just because I live less than a 10km from factory but also because I like the paper.

At first let me say something about paper grading since Fotokemika is marking it differently for US and European market. There is 3 grades, Soft, Normal and Hard. In Europe it is grade 1, G2 and G3. In US same paper have G2, G3 and G4 marks. I guess it would be better to call it Soft, Normal and Hard just to avoid misunderstanding.

You can found some information at http://www.adox.de/english/ADOX_Pape...rs/Nuance.html and datasheet at http://www.fotokemika.hr/hr/detalji/...li-papir/emaks

As you can see in datasheet Hard gradation is more like Normal and a half instead really full grade harder than Normal. Also, you can see that different grades don't have same sensitivity to light and Hard must be exposed considerably longer.

The paper is slightly warmtone and I didn't notice tone difference between grades but I recently bough my first box of Soft grade so I have a limited experience with it.
    The base, as someone said it, don't have whitening so don't expect spark highlights. It is very nice paper for portraits but the Sun reflection on chromed objects look a little bit dull. I'm looking for some information if there is some afterbath to improve that.

Notice the information at Adox site:
    "However some modern developers are formulated and their respective dilution as well as capacity is given for RC papers with incorporated developing substances. These developers will "give up" if confronted with the silver content of Nuance and the prints will not achieve maximum values."
    So far I bath the paper in Ilford Multigrade, Warmtone and Cooltone developers and Zone VI and at beginning in Fotokemika FR16 universal developer. I don't know much about each developer but I had mixed results, sometimes because of badly exposed or developed negatives.
    Still looking for chemistry to try it in Ansco 130/120 and would like to try some Amidol or PPPD developer but the chemistry is not easy to found in Croatia so I think it will be on my wish list for a very long time.
    Honestly I don't remember results I was getting with FR16 but I didn't notice easily noticeable difference between Zone VI and Ilford Multigrade developer. Results are neutral to very subtle warm toned.
    In Warmtone developer 1+9 it is very similar to Zone VI and Multigrade but at 1+19 dilution it is slightly more warm toned. Opposite to that in Cooltone developer 1+9 it is noticeable colder but 1+19 dilution is just like 1+9 Wormtone, pretty neutral tone.
    I don't have densitometer so all this is pure visual observation and most of the time different negatives.

Still didn't try it in toners but will buy Agfa Viradon brown toner soon.
    IST is expensive here (and usually not on store shelf) and KRST is not available at all.

I also try some Ilford RC and FB papers, Forte Polywarmtone and Fotokemika Varycon. Forte is excellent paper but not available any more. Emaks is my second best but sometimes even better than Forte.

So, don't know what else to say. If you can understand my English and have some questions don't hesitate to ask it. :-)

Greetings from Croatia,
    Zvonimir

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Michael and Zvonimir I was going to go just with the Emaks but, they were sold out of the 100 sheet packs and only 2 of the 25 sheet packs. They sounded a little uncertain as to how solid the expected arrival date was so, since I'm new and still really have no idea what I'm doing, thought why not get an assortment...LOL I went with all grade 2 for now since that is what I have been most happy with for the majority of my negatives so far. I'll be using Ilford Multigrade and Warmtone developers. Along with selenium toning I also want to try out coffee toning as I've liked the results I've seen from some in the gallery. Picked up a couple books on toning as well. This is going to be fun. Can't wait to start playing
    flickr

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Are you ordering from Freestyle? They always seem to have plenty in stock . . . .
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, it was from freestyle. They had plenty G3 and G4 but, were out of the 100 sheet boxes of G2 and only had 2 of the 25 sheet boxes left. I emailed them and they said they had a couple expected arrival dates noted but weren't sure exactly when it would be in
    flickr

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bearing in mind the difference in labeling that Zvonimir mentions, if you are used to G2 with other papers, you may prefer the middle grade of Emaks (G3 from Freestyle). I tend to use more G2 than G3 and very little G4, but others use G3 as their normal grade. G2 is a little softer than other G2 papers, and G3 is a little harder. I think when J&C was selling it they called the middle grade "Normal," though Cachet and Maco labeled it G3, and Freestyle labels it G3.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin