Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,703   Online: 1136

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks David, I'll keep that in mind when I try out the paper. That may actually work out good because there are a couple negatives of mine I have come across where the G2 Ilfospeed was a little too hard for what I wanted.
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well Xia_Ke, as I've mentioned on Flickr with you. Fotokemika Varycon is an amazing Fiber paper, and since Brovira and Portriga are gone, it's been my main-stay paper. However, rather than going through all the hassle of using various toners and having fumes build up within my darkroom, I've gotten some Fomatone to try. Beautiful creme base, for a genuine vintage look.

So after going through the Emaks, try some Fomabrom or Fomatone. But! If you're looking for cheap, never mind. Remember this is your art, your perception of a moment in time you're presenting. What kind of price can you put on that?

Rolleijoe
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would be very curious to hear your thoughts on the Emaks vs. Slavich, I have been using the Slavich but have found the grade II too hard for a few of my negatives (they are probably overdeveloped a little bit) and it sounds like the Emaks may be a little softer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorzen View Post
    I would be very curious to hear your thoughts on the Emaks vs. Slavich, I have been using the Slavich but have found the grade II too hard for a few of my negatives (they are probably overdeveloped a little bit) and it sounds like the Emaks may be a little softer.
    I had the same issue with Slavich, but I found that by mixing 2 parts Dektol with 1 part Zonal Pro Warmtone I was able to soften just enough to print some harder negatives. Other the other hand Emaks appears to be softer than Slavich, but I have not printed the same negative side by side.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Printing this paper today with Guillaume, some very beautiful negatives to 30 x 40 using Ansco 130.
    This paper has a lovely tone , kind of olive in the mid tones and very rich blacks.. Slight selenium tone and these prints are really kicking.
    Going to do some more over the next few days... Gulaume says that this is excellent lith and by all accounts looks that way and I will be trying the G4 after he leaves .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought some emaks and slavich grade 4 at Freestyle over the weekend to try with some of my thinny, thin and flat negatives...

I'll report after I give it a go...I have a lot of things to do in the darkroom over the next week or so, like making a neg carrier for my step wedge, paper fog tests from the huge batch I just lucked on to, etc, etc...never a lack of things to do. Oh yeah, I want to print some proofs from my latest roll, too!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    Thomas,
    Do you use a red safelight with the Emaks...?
    How about the Slavich...anyone? Thanks...
    I wonder where that red safelight recommendation
    came from. I'm working with Kentmere Bromide,
    Slavich, and Emaks, all glossy graded. A same
    set of yellow-ish orange safelights for all. Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    Emaks appears to be softer than Slavich, ...
    No doubt Slavich is a contrasty paper. I ran a series
    of tests with that and Kentmere Bromide and Emaks.
    In Beer's 1, a soft Ansco 120 type, Slavich made a
    border line grade 3, Kentmere and Emaks, a good
    grade 1. Using Beer's 7, a Dektol type, Slavich
    made grade 4, Kentmere a soft 2, and Emaks,
    a center grade 2.

All the above glossy grade 2 DW FB. Your
    batches may vary. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the input everyone Fedex says it will be in tomorrow. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll get a chance to do any printing until next Tuesday I'll let you all know what my results are.

Aaron
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One more thing about Emaks - if you ever get into lith printing... It's absolutely gorgeous stuff. I'm not sure about Slavich for that, Aaron.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin