Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,069   Online: 890

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Slavich unibrom is very hard for regular printing. Their G2 is really G3 for everyone else. That aside, it can be managed with a less dense neg, or water bath / selectol soft dev. The Unibrom liths very well, but is VERY cold toned in lith and did not liberate any warmer pink or salmon hues. It might change after a bleaching though, though I've not tried that. In Tim Rudman's second lith book, there was a reference to some folks getting severe edge fogging with it for lith. I've never had anything like that occur when using Arista-lith. Slavich also worked well under a premier OC safelight for VC paper even though the recommendation is for a red one. Mind you mine is long way away from the paper in use.

I've also tried the EMAKS VC paper and found it a little low on overall range. It would be good for a very contrasty neg that needed taming down some. I need to give it more of a work out though to know for sure how I feel about EMAKS in general.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy, Emaks is different from Varycon. Varycon is the VC paper, Emaks is the graded. To some extent their tonal range is similar.
    Varycon does best in very dilute developer, like Ansco 130 at 1+3. You eke out more black that way, increasing the Dmax and the apparent contrast but you need to soup it for 3+ minutes. Emaks is a little bit different, it seems to give a bit lower contrast than what's the stated grade, but once again you can alter that with your developer some. It absolutely sings in Amidol. A whole choir at full blast. It is very responsive that way. I've never tried it with Neutol WA that you use.
    Varycon turns somewhat green in lith, and if you go for enough contrast by shortening the exposure time and leaving it in the developer for much longer, you get a split tone with very warm highlights. Emaks turns brown in lith, and more intensely so with longer exposure.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Just finishing up with Guilliume today some prints on the Emak, with a bit of toning to boot,,,, really lovely paper with fantastic tonalities and opportunities for lith as well.. here is a pic of one of the prints we did yesterday.. I am the handsome guy in the orange jumpsuit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails murals_at_elevator.jpg  

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Beautiful. Really stunning.

Where can I get a suit like that?
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I think Rikers Island is close to you .. can meet a friend as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    Beautiful. Really stunning.

Where can I get a suit like that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    One more thing about Emaks - if you ever get into lith printing... It's absolutely gorgeous stuff. I'm not sure about Slavich for that, Aaron.
    - Thomas
    Hi Thomas
    What lith developer did you use with Emaks? I haven't been able to get very good colors out of new emaks, just from papers that are about 15 years old.

Of course, now that I have changed to Wolfgang Moersch's developer, I might give it a try in that.

/matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matti, I'm using the developer sold by Freestyle Photo in California. Arista Lith. It's similar to Maco and Fotospeed in the colors and tonalities I'm able to achieve, but requires a slightly higher temperature to get there.
    The dilution is 1+1+30, and I use it at around 75-80*F. (24-26*C).

Here is a link to the APUG gallery with an example. I think only subscribers can view it. This is a short exposure and about 14 minute development time. You get warmer brown tone with longer exposure time with development times at around 10-11 minutes, and less contrast of course.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...406&ppuser=395

I've pasted the image below for those that can't go to the gallery to view. It's the Grade 3 version. I love this paper in both lith, Ansco 130, and Amidol. Exceptional stuff.

Thanks,

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    Hi Thomas
    What lith developer did you use with Emaks? I haven't been able to get very good colors out of new emaks, just from papers that are about 15 years old.

Of course, now that I have changed to Wolfgang Moersch's developer, I might give it a try in that.

/matti
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Print_01.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When posting my pictures in the APUG gallery, I could not remember what paper I printed on - that was quite a while ago in Russia. You reminded me - Slavich Unibrom! Unfortunatelly cannot compare it to other papers as I didn't have a chance to use them. I am only returning to old style photography and dark room printing. The label on the package of Unibrom said in huge letters "Photo paper", so for me it was THE photo paper. Ususally - in Soviet times - only grade 3 was available in stores. So I had to use it for all kinds of negatives using developer of a different density and temperature.

Regards and thanks again.

Victor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Thomas.
    Great Holga-stuff. 1+1+30... I was doing 1+1+19, maybe I will try it again. With the Moersch-developer, Wolfgang suggests 15+25+1000 ml for Forte graded papers. Maybe I will try something like that here for more color. I really like the surface of emaks. Even better than forte. And I need a way of heating the stuff for lith as well.

/matti

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Matti, I'm using the developer sold by Freestyle Photo in California. Arista Lith. It's similar to Maco and Fotospeed in the colors and tonalities I'm able to achieve, but requires a slightly higher temperature to get there.
    The dilution is 1+1+30, and I use it at around 75-80*F. (24-26*C).

Here is a link to the APUG gallery with an example. I think only subscribers can view it. This is a short exposure and about 14 minute development time. You get warmer brown tone with longer exposure time with development times at around 10-11 minutes, and less contrast of course.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...406&ppuser=395

I've pasted the image below for those that can't go to the gallery to view. It's the Grade 3 version. I love this paper in both lith, Ansco 130, and Amidol. Exceptional stuff.

Thanks,

- Thomas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been using Emaks 8X10 which is handled pretty rapidly, as well as the 16X20 which is slower to handle, under OC, no fog that I can detect. The sensitivity curve drops out about 530nm so I'm guessing any amber light will be safe.
    Said Film to Digital: "Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father..."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin