Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,784   Online: 814

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Any thoughts on Fotokemika Emaks or Slavich Unibrom?

I want to try playing with some FB paper and toning but, still being very new don't want to spend the $$$ on Oriental or Ilford Gallerie since I'll just be blowing through it experimenting. Looking on Freestyle, Fotokemika Emaks and Slavich Unibrom seem to be the 2 cheapest graded FB papers. Any thoughts on one over the other or any others?
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

I have tried some of the FB Emaks, grade 2 and 3, with some rollei R3 MF negatives; the paper was developed in PF B&W 65, then selenium toned. Very nice results with full blacks, and nice high end tones. I have the Slavich in the Q, but have not worked with it yet. No complaints except for the usual ones that pertain to the use of FB papers vs. RC papers....but then again, such topic has been discussed here at great length.

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ed Yep, read MANY threads here on the difference between RC and FB. Just as bad as any film vs digital debate...LOL I have plenty of RC paper, just wanted to try playing with some FB too, experiment with some toning, etc. It's all new to me so I want to try lots of things and play around without busting the bank.
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fotokemika Emaks paper is about as good as it gets in my opinion. I have no opinion on Slavich, I haven't tried it. Price doesn't necessarily equal pictorial quality, but Ilford Galerie is supposed to be the cat's meow in many aspects. It's way too expensive for me, especially since you probably want to stock up on a couple of grades at least.

The Emaks is very rich in its tones. The gloss is not as glossy as some others, but I like that. Tonal separation is just awesome. It responds well to both selenium and sepia toner too. It's a winner in all aspects as far as I'm concerned. Even if someone told me I could get slightly better white or black with another paper, I like this one, because it does so little wrong.

You may be very pleasantly surprised by it. But I also know of folks that have been disappointed by it.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like Emaks quite a lot. Do a search for Emaks, Cachet Expo RF, Maco Expo RF, J&C Expo Graded--all different brandings of the same paper--and you'll find quite a lot of information about it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone Guess I'll give the Emaks a try.
    flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Slavich Unibrom seem to be the 2 cheapest graded FB papers. Any thoughts on one over the other or any others?[/QUOTE]

I really like Slavich s/w very cold, reminds me of Brovia, I found Dektol to work well as does all of the other developers I have on hand, Zonal Pro, Ultra Black, and Clayton P20. Washes in 1/2 the time of D/W, very little change in tone or density as its dries, and drys flat, easy to mount. So far quailty control has been good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, looks like Grade 2 Emaks is on backorder but, expected on the 14th. Looks like it'll be Unibrom...LOL
    flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Fotokemika Emaks paper is about as good as it gets in my opinion. I have no opinion on Slavich, I haven't tried it. Price doesn't necessarily equal pictorial quality, but Ilford Galerie is supposed to be the cat's meow in many aspects. It's way too expensive for me, especially since you probably want to stock up on a couple of grades at least.

The Emaks is very rich in its tones. The gloss is not as glossy as some others, but I like that. Tonal separation is just awesome. It responds well to both selenium and sepia toner too. It's a winner in all aspects as far as I'm concerned. Even if someone told me I could get slightly better white or black with another paper, I like this one, because it does so little wrong.

You may be very pleasantly surprised by it. But I also know of folks that have been disappointed by it.

- Thomas
    Thomas,

Do you use a red safelight with the Emaks...?

How about the Slavich...anyone?

Thanks...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    Thomas,

Do you use a red safelight with the Emaks...?

How about the Slavich...anyone?

Thanks...
    Hadn't even thought of that. I'm currently using an OC. Will I be all set with either of these papers????
    flickr

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin