Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,687   Online: 952

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Following many many questions from persons just starting out, who have been baffled by the archaic dilutions and sub-dilutions of HC110, I have created a little page about using it 1:50 direct from the bottle.

http://www.jasonbrunner.com/hc110.html

If anybody switches to this or who already does it, has or comes up with times for emulsion/speed combo's not already present, I'll be pleased to add them to the page.

J
    This is pretty amazing. I decided upon 1:50 just last month. First because the time for AristaEDU-Ultra 100 is so short in 'B' that it's not recommended (and kinda short for PanF+, too) Secondly to make the math simpler for 1/2 litre & 1 litre, and lastly for economy.

So I'm having good results with:

AristaEDU-Ultra 100, rated at 100: 20C, 6.5 minutes [half a dozen rolls]
    Ilford PanF+, rated at 50: 20C, 5.5 minutes [about a dozen rolls]

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Who knew there could be such a broad opinion base as to what is simple? 1:50. 1:37. 15:1000 all are just starting points on the way to seeing what works for each individual.

If it takes me a half an hour to explain dilution ratios, I probably need to work a little on my teaching skills.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In the interest of KISS, when I took 1 oz. of HC110 goop, and added it to 31 oz. of water, I got one quart of useable film developer.

So, if I choose to go 1:50, and have a tank that holds 500 ml of solution, and I wish to fill the tank, how much goop do I use and how much water?

John (perplexed) in Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John -- you would need 10 ml of HC-110 "goop" and 490 ml of water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    John -- you would need 10 ml of HC-110 "goop" and 490 ml of water.
    Which technically is 1:49, not 1:50, but the difference surely wouldn't matter.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Matt,
    Yeh, that's what I figured. 1:49. 1:50, as we say hereabouts "Close enough for gummint work."

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    Who knew there could be such a broad opinion base as to what is simple? 1:50. 1:37. 15:1000 all are just starting points on the way to seeing what works for each individual.

If it takes me a half an hour to explain dilution ratios, I probably need to work a little on my teaching skills.

Mike
    Well, lets see....
    Take the normal Hc110 from-concentrate-to-stock-to-working dilutions complete from a working dilution (1:3) that is then mixed to give A-(1:3)-B-(1:7)-C-(1:4)-D-(1:9)-E-(1:11)-or F-(1:19) or you could direct dilute for A-(1:15) -B-(1:31)-C-(1:19)-D-(1:39) E-(1:47)-F-(1:79)-G-(1:119)or H-(1:63) with eight possible choices and eight possible times for one single emulsion and film speed and then run it by somebody who is completely new to developing and just grasping the concept of dilutions, answer their questions until they understand, and get back to me.

Or you could say "1:50 for 8 minutes, and we'll look at your exposures".

I guess I'd rather have them shooting and developing, over needing to unzip in order to show off my big brain cell.

But hey, whatever floats your boat, man.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 03-11-2008 at 11:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Q: is this the argument room?
    A: no, this is the verbal abuse room. the argument room is two doors down.... and take that yellow goopy shit with you...

Oh...Jason, Thanks for putting up the informative page. I sincerely appreciate the effort and agree it's high time for a simple introduction to the magical yellow syrup. Well done.
    Last edited by BradS; 03-11-2008 at 11:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure that I'm ready for "simplification", besides, who are you? Your the guy who left us hanging for video part three, the Polaroid print!
    Last edited by Curt; 03-11-2008 at 11:57 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forget to put in the munching man with Koolaid mixed 1:51
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I'm not sure that I'm ready for "simplification", besides, who are you? Your the guy who left us hanging for video part three, the Polaroid print!
    Guilty as charged. (I guess it's not like Who Shot JR?) I'll get that up this week.

And that was good one, Art.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin