Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,738   Posts: 1,515,535   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Hc110 simplified.

Following many many questions from persons just starting out, who have been baffled by the archaic dilutions and sub-dilutions of HC110, I have created a little page about using it 1:50 direct from the bottle.

http://www.jasonbrunner.com/hc110.html

If anybody switches to this or who already does it, has or comes up with times for emulsion/speed combo's not already present, I'll be pleased to add them to the page.

J

Shooter
    35mm
    Just curious, what made you decide to use 1:50 in the first place, as opposed to an established "official" or quasi-official dilution? Are there development characteristics about using 1:50 that are different that other dilutions (better tonal range, grain differences, etc)?
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Just curious, what made you decide to use 1:50 in the first place, as opposed to an established "official" or quasi-official dilution? Are there development characteristics about using 1:50 that are different that other dilutions (better tonal range, grain differences, etc)?
    1:50 is super easy to calculate, and creates forgiving times, handy for expansion and contraction, and especially important for the novice developer, who may be still getting a handle on things. Tonally, etc., I can't tell any difference from Dil B, I suppose somewhere somebody thinks they can, or maybe even does.

The "official" dilutions, and intermediate "working solution" are simply a pain, especially for the beginner, and unused Hc110 as a concentrate keeps like the dickens.

The original dilutions made sense once upon a time, but now they are just cumbersome, especially for those just starting out.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 03-11-2008 at 07:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unofficial Dilution H is pretty simple at 1:62...just as easy to divide by 63 as it is 51, and then the times are just double the published Dilution B times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jason,
    Thanks for setting up the page. I too have been working with HC 110 for decades using multiples of 25 for dilutions (1:25, 1:50, 1:75, 1:100, etc.) for various films. It is particularly convenient for those of us who are metric - no need for calculators to figure out ratios, since 25 (or 50) is an arithmetic factor of 1000ml. Working out the multiples is far more straightforward and uncomplicated.

You are correct in pointing out that it is far easier to prepare a working solution this way from the concentrate/syrup, and that since HC 110 is inexpensive, one-shot use is the way to go. It also promotes consistency of results. I should also point out that I have found little - if any - differences between using dilutions such as 1:50 vs. the "unofficial" dilution of 1:64 (twice that of Dilution B) to matter in real-world terms. I suspect that the differences are even more negligible at even higher dilutions (say 1:100 or 1:150 for stand and semi-stand development). I use the same agitation procedure as you do, and process at 20C/68F as well. I'll try to pull out development data for various roll films that I use and hopefully I can contribute that to your page.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a close to H, 15ML into 1000ML. 1000 works with both my nikkor tanks for 120mm and my old Jobo tube for 4x5 used on a bessler base.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Things like "close to H, and twice B times" are thoroughly confusing to the novice.
    We've been clowning around with these stupid dilutions for so long we can't see the forest through the trees. I only realized this trying to explain it to persons new to developing, and they say things like "1:47? Why 47?"

Unless you take a Kodak history class, there is no basis for these kinds of silly dilutions.

"1:50 for 8 minutes" is something they can get their teeth into, and allows them concentrate on learning the things that matter. I mean, have you ever needed to take a half an hour to explain to somebody how to mix Rodinal?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Following many many questions from persons just starting out, who have been baffled by the archaic dilutions and sub-dilutions of HC110, I have created a little page about using it 1:50 direct from the bottle.

http://www.jasonbrunner.com/hc110.html

If anybody switches to this or who already does it, has or comes up with times for emulsion/speed combo's not already present, I'll be pleased to add them to the page.

J
    Nice and simple. Thanks very much! But when are you going to post the youtube video?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jason,

From the video:
    Yes the apron makes you look fat, Or is it PHAT! in todays vernacular.

HC-110: I'm trying Dilution B, 1 oz shot of syrup (straight) plus 31 shots of water. I hope that's what "1:31" means, but I'm just a noob, what do I know.

Terry
    Last edited by Iwagoshi; 03-11-2008 at 08:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think dilutions are designed around whether you work in ounces (fairly easy to measure 1+15, 1+31, 1+47 to get multiples of 1 pint) or metric units (1+19, 1+39, 1+79 giving nice decimal numbers in multiples of 20), with a few general ranges for different effects.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin