Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,718   Posts: 1,514,837   Online: 939

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Do you pre-wash/pre-soak Fuji Acros ?

I was just looking at the pdf for the film and it does not mention it to do it or not.

Developing steps for the film start with the developer.

I normally do it with my Ilford films (which say not to).

So, do you pre-soak or not?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No film manufacturer recommends pre-soaking B&W film, there's a similar thread here 2 or 3 days ago. No I never pre-soak, it's totally unnecessary.

Ian

Images
    I do find pre-soaking helpful with sheet film, not necessary for roll film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use acros 100 roll film and I always pre-soak but I always pre-soak all my films, its just the way I was taught.

I'm sure if I didn't pre-soak it would make absolutely no difference, but as I said I have always done it that way. You you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With my Acros (roll), I presoak now that I'm using mostly Pyrocat-HD but did not when I used Xtol (1+3) or Perceptol/Microdol (1+3).

I started presoaking films back in the early 80s when I started processing roll films in the Unicolor film drum on a motor base. Using water with a bit of Edwal LFN in it prevented streaking and mottling issues I was having. Now I'm back to the manual tank for smaller formats and presoak only with Pyrocat as per Sandy King's recommendations.

Dave

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I always presoak Acros and I use a lot of it. I have presoaked everything for 20 some years when I came to realize it helped with processing eveness. I used to presoak only 30 seconds until Kodak came out with the Tmax films and recommended a 2 minute presoak. Now I presoak everything for 2 minutes. The only problem I might have ever had with a presoak was with Agfa films but I am not certain of that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    well I did a 1 minute presoak, agitating the entire minute, and I got what I think are uneven developing marks.

I've used a ton of APX 100 and FP4+ and have always done the presoak with a problem.

So I guess I will try acros without the soak.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I presoak my Acros sheet films (and all other brands of sheet films) for five minutes prior to development with Pyrocat-HD.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I should mention that all three films are done in xtol.

I should also mention that I have never had this with Ilford or Agfa roll film before.
    Last edited by david b; 03-12-2008 at 12:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went back to a Kodak "how to" book from the 40s, and in it they show roll film being pre-rinsed! This was when film was a lot softer than today, and so they also show a rinse after development, instead of the stop. This was the time of Eaton's book in which he suggested a rinse for film, but later changed it to a stop.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin