Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,136   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Identifying emulsion side on FP4 5X7

Just bought a box of FP4 in 5X7 and wondering - how do I detect the emulsion side? There doesn't seem to be anything on the box about this.

With the Adox 5X7 I have been using, there is one notch which is supposed to be facing you and in the top right or bottom left.

Many thanks,

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From a left handers point of view, when the film is held in the left hand and horizontal in length, the notches are on the upper left short side of the film. This places the emullsion side facing you.

Notch placement is an industry standard and not brand specific.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Ilford film will have a set of notches, the spacing and number of notches identifies the type of film, this is true of Kodak films as well. The notch code should be illustrated on the box label.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i've had boxes of tri x 5x7 film missing notch codes.
    it can happen sometimes ...
    sacrifice a sheet of film if yours had no notch codes
    and examine the sheet the non-shiny side is the emulsion side
    ( like with 35mm film ). your film should all be stacked the same way
    in the box
    so once you know what side to expose just remember when you load your film.

good luck!

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not just return the box? The film should have notches like any other sheet film..... If you load film infrequently and they're missing you may forget how it's sitting in the box (emulsion up or down).

Tim
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's easy to determine the emulsion side on 5x7 film. Hold the stack of film between your thumb and forefinger on either side along the 7 inch edge. If the film sags along the 7 inch side then the emulsion is facing downwards. If, on the other hand, the film sags along the 5 inch side then the emulsion is facing upwards. No need to touch the surface or sacrifice a sheet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In ye oldene dayz, we would gently touch the corner between our lips, then open the lips. The emulsion side sticks slightly to one lip.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know two methods: - for developed film (light) and for non developed film (darkroom).
    The method for darkroom is less hygienic: touch your wet tongue to the film and the side that adheres is the emulsion.
    To know what side is the emulsion/base (film developed): come near with a side (1..2 cm) of film and breathe on it. The humidity of respiration condenses on the side of the base and goes fast. On the side of emulsion no chance.
    George
    Last edited by georgegrosu; 03-12-2008 at 12:16 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I change same think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a variation on the methods presented so far,
    Get your thumb and forefinger ever so slightly damp. Then press press a corner of the film or paper between them and release. Whichever side releases first is the back side.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't think the OP is saying there are no notches, I think he's saying there is no mention of notches on the box. -- at least, that's the way I read the original post....

Matt,

All sheet film works the same. When the emulsion side is facing you and the sheet is oriented with the long side vertical, the notches are in the upper right hand corner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin