Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,161   Online: 714

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: T-Max 100

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Good point about the personal descriptions. Perhaps I should add more (unscientific descriptions) as to why I don't like T-Max: I found its contrast to be muddy, dull and lifeless. My negsprints didn't sing the way they did with Pan-X, Plus-X and Tri-X. I souped T-Max 100 in everything from FG-7 to Ethol 90--not one dev did the trick. As soon as I went back to trad-grain films in good old D-76, the sparkle was back. BTW, I did shoot several hundred feet of T-Max; it was THE film and I would think several hundred feet would be enough to "get to know a film".

I love T-MAX 100 in 120 size. I find it to be crystal clear, just the right contrast, exciting and full of life. I have developed it in several different developers and it sparkles in all of them.

Now D76 and Plus-X, there is something to bore a person to death!! No warmth, no bouquet, no after-taste, and too dry without a hint of fruit!!

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I love T-MAX 100 in 120 size. I find it to be crystal clear, just the right contrast, exciting and full of life.
    Same here, but Ive only developed it in Pyrocat-HD with extreme minimal agitation. I couldn't believe the negs! I was shooting with my old Bessa 1 folder and Yashica TLR.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I love T-MAX 100 in 120 size. I find it to be crystal clear, just the right contrast, exciting and full of life. I have developed it in several different developers and it sparkles in all of them.

Now D76 and Plus-X, there is something to bore a person to death!! No warmth, no bouquet, no after-taste, and too dry without a hint of fruit!!

Sandy King
    Is this why there are many kinds of film and devs???

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Is this why there are many kinds of film and devs???
    Jim,

Are you referring to the film characteristic of bouquet or fruitiness?

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 03-12-2008 at 09:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bouquet, of course!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have been using TMAX 120 for years....love it. The 16x20 are excellent with deep blacks and a tonal range that I honestly cannot say I have seen better. To each there own.

Shooter
    35mm

TMX

TMX will never be my favorite film but I have had some luck with it at 100 in straight Microphen.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Tmax100 is a superb film it's only failing is it's effective EI for my uses is a full stop less than APX100 but apart from that the results are indistinguishable. I stopped using APX100 when they dropped the sheet film.

Ian

I was expecting this when I tested TMX because with most it seems that they were arriving at 1/2 the box speed. However, my tests with 4x5 in D-76 (1:1) using a combi-plan tank turned out to be an effective EI of 100 and I'm very pleased so far.
    As a general discussion statement about T-max, it's no secret that if one does not adhere to strict darkroom practices with consistency of temp, agitation, and time, then this film can be a "head scratcher" to someone who is used to the forgiving nature of the other traditional emulsions like TX and PX. When Sexton wrote that "You must have repeatable work habits and procedures. Be concerned about 1 degree changes in developing temperatures", he was not being overdramatic as I have learned this myself with this film.

Chuck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I saw what John Sexton and Clyde Butcher were able to do with TMAX I wanted to be able to do the same. That was quite a while back. Needless to say, I was really disappointed at first. For the longest time, and I am talking about years, I couldn't get results that I liked, even though TriX, FP4, PanF, and HP5 were working for me. Finally, in 2007, I found a combination of exposure below 100 and development in PMK that produced something I really want to be able to recreate and keep using, and hopefully even improve on. For me, it has been a long and I would also say somewhat expensive road, but worth it, and I would guess that there is still more that can be obtained with this film, if I keep improving my methods. My luck would be that now that I havve decided this is a favorite, they will discontinue it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found that TMax 100 shot at 50 and developed in Rodinal 1+100 is a fantastic combination. But for me it doesn't have enough grain. But apart from that I find it a superb film. Be careful not to over-develop. I've had highlights block up horribly for me, but that's probably more my fault than the film.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin