Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,547   Posts: 1,544,523   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T-Max 100

Shooter
    Multi Format

T-Max 100

Being a Tri-X main liner I find it very difficult to get my head around the "T" grain structure of this film.It seems to pasteurized to me.That said,I have about 90ft of the stuff and would like to find an alternative way to shoot it.Maybe adjust the box speed or developer? All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having shot globs of this stuff in the 80's and into the 90's, I could never seem to get it "right". So, I went back to trad films; Plus-X, etc.

About four years ago, a friend gave me a couple of rolls of T-Max 100 that he wasn't going to shoot (he likes TMY400) and I souped it in Rodinal at an EI of 64, the times used were on the back of the Rodinal bottle, probably 1+25. Well, I still don't like T-Max, but those Rodinal negs were the best I've ever done with that film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jim.Maybe your advice will be the magic bullet I'm looking for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    mike

try a clip test and shoot it at 50
    and processing it without agitation
    in dektol ( if you use it )
    dilute 1:6 for about 15-20mins.

you might like the look ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another great idea.I'll check to see if my local shop has any Dektol.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    "too pasteurized" That is an interesting subjective description. I am not sure what it means. It is interesting reading threads asking what film to use and why, they are full of personal descriptions. Usually like .. so and so film is stunning, or beautiful, dramatic. Lots of terms that have no real solid meaning. Perhaps someone should start a dictionary for terms used to describe the look of film. When I first used Tmax 100 for portraits I got the weirdest looking skin tone, like the skin was blank light grey without much modulation. It struck me as "muggy". That impression stuck with me a long time and I never used the film. Then I tried it again and got really beautiful glowing skin tone. I am not sure what changed, me or the film. I guess looking too pasturized might mean looking too accurate or perhaps no range of tones stand out in the print. I think the rodinal is a good suggestion for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only developers that I like with TMax 100 are Edwal 12 or 777. I have a few 35mm rolls that are going to expire in a few months that I will soup in DK 50 or Acufine, maybe I will get lucky. For the most part I now shot Forma Pan 400 for high speed, and Pan F or Efke 25 for low speed, the mid range just does not seem fit my needs at the moment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Started using Tmax100 alongside AP100 then APX100 when Tmax100 was first released and haven't stopped. Initially I used Rodinal but after about 145 years began also using Xtol (replenished). Now I use Pyrocat HD for 90% of my Tmax processing, but still use Xtol for some commercial work.

Tmax100 is a superb film it's only failing is it's effective EI for my uses is a full stop less than APX100 but apart from that the results are indistinguishable. I stopped using APX100 when they dropped the sheet film.

Ian

Images
    Good Afternoon, Mike,

Try T-100 in T-Max developer diluted 1:7 (from the original concentrate) at about 10 minutes as a starting point.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    "too pasteurized" That is an interesting subjective description. I am not sure what it means. It is interesting reading threads asking what film to use and why, they are full of personal descriptions. Usually like .. so and so film is stunning, or beautiful, dramatic. Lots of terms that have no real solid meaning. Perhaps someone should start a dictionary for terms used to describe the look of film. When I first used Tmax 100 for portraits I got the weirdest looking skin tone, like the skin was blank light grey without much modulation. It struck me as "muggy". That impression stuck with me a long time and I never used the film. Then I tried it again and got really beautiful glowing skin tone. I am not sure what changed, me or the film. I guess looking too pasturized might mean looking too accurate or perhaps no range of tones stand out in the print. I think the rodinal is a good suggestion for it.
    Good point about the personal descriptions. Perhaps I should add more (unscientific descriptions) as to why I don't like T-Max: I found its contrast to be muddy, dull and lifeless. My negsprints didn't sing the way they did with Pan-X, Plus-X and Tri-X. I souped T-Max 100 in everything from FG-7 to Ethol 90--not one dev did the trick. As soon as I went back to trad-grain films in good old D-76, the sparkle was back. BTW, I did shoot several hundred feet of T-Max; it was THE film and I would think several hundred feet would be enough to "get to know a film".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin