Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,477   Online: 873

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Why so much Sulfite?

Why do so many B&W film developers contain so much sulfite? Is it because, historically, devs like D-76 (with 100g/Liter) were used in replenished deep tanks?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sulfite is a preservative and mild solvent which gives better image quality.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Sulfite is a preservative and mild solvent which gives better image quality.

PE
    Well, yes. I understand that but, wouldn't 25 or 30 g/Liter be sufficient to preserve a liter of D-76 or D-23 if the solution is to be used one shot?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make one up and test it. Seeing the results might explain it better.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Make one up and test it. Seeing the results might explain it better.

PE
    Point taken. Will do. Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Brad,
    The sulfite in D23 has multiple functions, as others who know photochemistry can better tell you. My understanding is that it is a real triple threat: preservative, alkali source, and silver solvent. Although I know little about photo chemistry, D23 has been my film developer of choice for many years and I know that some people dilute the stock 1:1, which would give 50 grams per liter. I think it can even be used 1:3 which really get's the sulfite content down there. Once diluted, though, it should be used and thrown away. I SUSPECT that mixing stock with less than the 10% solution would not keep very long--but I would rely on chemical experts, which I am not. I know for a fact that D23 stock lasts a long time in a tightly sealed bottle. I found some unused D23 not long ago--mixed up in 1999--it still worked fine when I tested it.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're looking for (and I'm not sure of the point of your question) a dev with less sulfite, Anchell's "Darkroom Cookbook" has several.

Shooter
    Large Format
    hmmm, yes. What is the point of my question...well, I guess....it all comes down to the desire to reduce the cost of a liter of homebrew D-23 (or, something like it).

I have been using D-23 on and off for about a year now and, I keep thinking about the cost of a liter. The simple fact is that a liter of home brew D-23 costs a little more than a liter of pre-packaged Kodak D-76. Since I have a pound of Metol and I like D-23, I'm going to keep mixing my own but, I look for ways to reduce the cost while still maintaining the quality...

In prior experiments, I've reduced the Metol to 3g / liter and the sulfite to as little as 75 g/liter with good results but, I want it to be less expensive still.

In another thread, I asked about the Hydroquinone in D-76...with much the same motivation. I think that some of the motivation for the Hydroquinone in D-76 is to reduce the cost (the manufacturer's cost that is).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Brad,

DK25R.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You need a certain concentration of sulfite in the working solution to get the solvent effect. I forget the percentage, but I think Anchell mentions it in _The Darkroom Cookbook_, and I know it's in Haist, but my copy of Haist isn't handy at the moment. This is why a developer like D-76 acts like a solvent developer and produces finer grain at full strength or 1+1, but produces coarser grain and higher acutance at 1+3.

If you reduce the sulfite with D-23, I suspect you'll get the same effect--more grain, more acutance.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin