Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,762   Online: 982

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Hardener deposits?????

I posted a similar problem ages ago....... a random white film on my negatives. But now I am wondering if my issue was caused by excess hardener in my fixer and not long enough in the developer?????? Let me know if any of you could maybe attest to this. Thanks you guys.

Jordan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only with very hard water. Hardener fixes with hard water can form aluminate and calcate salts, but not normally. These can be pretty much eliminated by bathing in DW with Photo Flo or the like. If that does not work add a rinse after the wash with some disodium EDTA in it, then rinse in DW then photo flo.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ahhhh I said "not long enough in the developer".... meant to say "not long enough in the "stop bath"........ Thanks PE for a quick response.... any change in your answer with my new correction?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jordan,
    In addition to the suggestions of the others, be sure to use a fresh stop bath, with sufficient time and agitation. Some high sulfite developers can sometimes leave a scum that you won't see until after the film dries.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use HC110. So the if the fixer and or hardener come in contact with the developer this could result in a stain of sorts. The stains are like random swirls of a whiteish film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin