Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,682   Online: 806

Shooter
    Digital Negs

Rollie Infra Red sheet film - development & filmspeed

Hi - I have just taken delivery of some Rollie Infra Red sheet film (5x4) and I have a couple of questions.

Can anyone recommend what film speed I should use with a Hoya infra red filter R72 - was thinking around 3 - 5 ASA but on the film box it recommends 64 ASA can anyone suggest what I should use to prevent wasting film.

Has anyone developed this film in a Pyro developer - were the results worthwhile? if not what developer would you recommend with a time if possible.

thanks in advance

numnutz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Numnutz,

I can't respond from experience, because I haven't used the film yet, although I have plans to buy it too, but I have read an article discussing the Rollei IR film in 35mm format. Since I assume these use similar emulsions, from that article I can give you the following recommended list:

Yellow (#8): ISO 320 to 200
    Dark yellow (#15): ISO 200
    Yellow/green (#11): ISO 200 to 100
    Orange (#21): ISO 200 to 100
    Red (#25): ISO 100 to 50
    Red (#29): ISO 25
    Heliopan RG 645: ISO 25
    Heliopan RG 665: ISO 25
    Heliopan RG 695 (#89B): ISO 25
    Heliopan RG 715 (#88A): ISO 25 to 12
    Heliopan RG 780 (#87C) and higher: not recommended

In addition, the article warns against using the Infrarex black filter (RG3), due to it's spectral transmittance, it all but blocks the wave lengths necessary for capturing an image on the Rollie film (it is only useful for d****** work), while the Cokin (P007) and Heliopan (RG715) black filters CAN be used, as well as Infrarex RG1 and RG2 red filters.

Hope this is of some help...

Curious to see some of your results! Post some if you can!

Marco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh yeh, the development:

Also from the article, all times at 20C except where otherwise mentioned:

Developer: RHS (Rollei High Speed), 1+7: 6min
    Developer: RHS, 1+12: 8:30min
    Developer: RLS (Rollei Low Speed), 1+4(24C): 18min
    Developer: RHC, 1+9: --
    Developer: RLC, 1+4: 8min
    Developer: D76, Stock: 6min

They also recommend pre-rinsing for at least 30sec before development.

The article was from an Italian photographic magazine by the way (Tutti Fotografi 2006, no 6), written by Gerardo Bonomo.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi numnutz
    I use efke IR 820 4x5, and before that Maco IR 820 4x5, at 3 ISO with a Heliopan RG 715 filter. I bracket depending how much IR light is present. Because my meter is not sensitive to IR, it is always a guess, but a educated guess. I process in Rollo Pyro. This combo has worked well for me a while now. Before that I used 4x5 HIE in the same dev.
    I tryed the Rollie 400 IR a few months ago and did not get the results I was looking for. With my filter it woked best a 3-6 ISO. It seem to be a "near" IR film, not a "real" IR film in my tests. I was looking for a replacement for HIE. I do not know if your film is the same I tryed or a newer film.

Quote Originally Posted by numnutz View Post
    Hi - I have just taken delivery of some Rollie Infra Red sheet film (5x4) and I have a couple of questions.

Can anyone recommend what film speed I should use with a Hoya infra red filter R72 - was thinking around 3 - 5 ASA but on the film box it recommends 64 ASA can anyone suggest what I should use to prevent wasting film.

Has anyone developed this film in a Pyro developer - were the results worthwhile? if not what developer would you recommend with a time if possible.

thanks in advance

numnutz

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Rollei 400 IR 4x5

I tried that film in 4x5 sheet, I metered at 200 asa, then I shot with a cokin 007 (89b) and opened 7 and 8 f-stops. I developed with D76 stock for 6m @ 20º C.
    The results are good but not what I expected. Not a great IR effect. I'm gonna try again, this time I will try 8 and 9 f-stops more.

[IMG][/IMG]

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd recommend having a look at the independent test reports we have published in order to learn more about using this film:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/rollei_infrared.html

You can find additional development data in The Massive Dev Chart (select "Rollei Films"):

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html
    --Jon Mided

Digitaltruth Photo
    http://www.digitaltruth.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitaltruth View Post
    I'd recommend having a look at the independent test reports we have published in order to learn more about using this film:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/rollei_infrared.html
    Wow, that was a very interesting read! Hadn't seen these pages before. Very informative, thanks.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the link Jon, gives me starting point towards choosing a replacement for Konica 750.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin