Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,455   Online: 942

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for their help so far. I will try some of the suggestions in my next printing session next week.
    Rich
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rich -

You certainly can give paper multiple exposures at differing contrasts. I often add a 5-10% additional exposure with the #5 filter to intensify the shadows. But there are also instances where a short exposure with a #0 filter is needed to enhance texture in highlights. Its not a scientific process, and you have to go by feel and see what results you get.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    I'm wondering if, in addition to split-grading, flashing VC paper will help you get the blacks you are looking for. Anyone try this approach? Maybe something I could try this weekend.
    No, it won't the flashing exposure is supposed to be insufficient to fog paper, it only helps the highlights in the prints and has no appreciable effect on the shadows.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    No, it won't the flashing exposure is supposed to be insufficient to fog paper, it only helps the highlights in the prints and has no appreciable effect on the shadows.

Ian
    Thanks for the clarification... and for saving me some time today. I was going to try this but I'll save my paper for something else.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    Split filtration is not difficult to do with a little practice and familiarity with the materials. If all you need is a little more zip to the print, using a No. 5 filter for a portion of the full exposure will do nicely. I always start with the low contrast filter and follow with the higher contrast. I really don't think it matters much in which order they're done.
    Ditto. And you're right, it doesn't matter at all in which order they're done. For me, split filter printing is the only way I've done it for the past 20 years. Once you work out your times for low and high contrast settings for each paper, it more or less stays the same forever after. I'm still working my way through my supply of Agfa Multicontrast Classic and my starting standard exposure time for an 8X10 print from a 6x7 neg is 10 sec full magenta (I use a color head) and 7 sec full yellow. I always get a good work print on the first try. I can then make decisions about harder or softer and tweak my times from there.

Just remember when doing split filter printing, if you want to burn for more density without changing the contrast, then burn with both hard and soft filtration in the same proportion. If you burn with only hard or soft, you'll change the contrast as well as the density.

Larry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin