Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,635   Online: 846

Shooter
    35mm RF

sodium metaborate (Kodalk) instead of Borax?

I'm mixing up some divided D76 and was curious if I can substitute sodium metaborate (Kodalk) for Borax in bath 'B'?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not directly. Sod. Metab has a higher pH and therefore higher contrast and more grain.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I see.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I'm mixing up some divided D76 and was curious if I can substitute sodium metaborate (Kodalk) for Borax in bath 'B'?

Thanks
    I don't see why you could not substiture Kodalk for Borax. You might want to experiment with the amount you would need. Kodak did publish the formula for a Kodalk variant of D76 called, you guessed, DK76;

Water 2.0 liters
    Metol 8.0 grams
    Sodium Sulfite 400 grams
    Hydroquinone 20 grams
    Kodalk 8.0 grams
    Water to 4 liters

divide by 4 to get the weights etc for 1 liter. This should give you a starting point for the amount of Kodalk. In my book, Elementary Photographic Chemistry by Eastman Kodak, they state using this formula for getting maximum shadow detail with the Panatomic range of films.

You might get some grain increase but you never know until you try it

Have fun

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've substituted borax with sodium metaborate and haven't seen a noticeable increase in grain. However, I do reduce the amount of sodium metaborate (usually by 1/3 of the original of borax).
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    thanks everyone

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Thanks
    I almost always use Kodalk (metaborate) rather than borax in my film developer, even for 400 speed film, with no noticeable increase in grain over borax.

It's slightly more active, so reduces developing time somewhat, which I like.

I use teaspoons to measure instead of grams, and 1 tsp. per liter has worked well for me, though I tend to use phenidone and ascorbic acid (Vit. C) rather than metol and sulfite, though I've used metaborate with both with good results.

For me, with my equipment (yours may be different), I find that if I rate my Delta 400 film at 250, and develop for 6'45" at 70 degrees with agitation once every minute for 5 sec., I get very nice negs with lots of shadow detail, and long tonal scale.

Larry

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I used sodium metaborate always instead of borax. It helps to shorten the development time and doesn't add to grain noticeably. You can find many formulas online in the forums--some of mine are in the darkroom forum, including those made with Phenidone and Vitamin C rather than metol and hydroquinone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Using Metaborate as a second bath was championed by the late Barry Thornton, although it was with a D-23 derivative. Anchell also noted that you can use borax, metaborate, and sodium carbonate as second baths, each increasing the grain and contrast. I prefer borax as a second bath when used with straight D-23 and 400 speed 35mm film as it does give less grain. The amounts are not identical, however.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin