Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,961   Online: 1217

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How do you keep track of your work flow?

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this. Mods, please feel free to move if another would be more appropriate.

So I wanted to do some printing tonight and wanted to revisit a shot or two I tried before but, felt could use some more work. There's one problem though, I never kept any journal or anything like that of what I did or where I was at I don't recall how long "this" was supposed to be dodged or "that" was supposed to be burned, etc. How do you guys keep track of your work flow for a given print for future attempts or replication?
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know by I damned well better start keeping better records. I'm not even sure where my negatives are half the time, I sometimes come across negs that were never contacted, contacts that I don't know where the negs are....GRRR!!

My GF, who's become my sometimes printer as I've gotten her into photography has just made up a type of sheet with a number of boxes on a sheet, and in each box is a space with a line for all the relevant info to make the straight prints, and I've found that to be very helpful. This way I don't have to go back and make test strips all over again every single time I make a print.

It has the size of the print, height of the head, lens and enlarger used, aperture, time, filter and a brief description of the picture. Really helpful!

Shooter
    8x10 Format

journal

I keep a handwritten journal in my darkroom. However, I only make detailed notes for printing negs that require extensive manipulation. Now that I'm mainly contact printing 8x10, there is much less dodging and burning needed.
    Tim

Shooter
    35mm
    You can use something like this weirdo made:

http://www.lulu.com/content/2103140

Or you can make your own forms and keep them in a binder or folder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope you make contact sheets and have it next to film of which you made contact sheet, that you put film stripes in sleeves and/or you mark contact sheet and film sleeves same way. I do that and then:

I write something like this on back of my contact sheet: "Image 33, paper size 20x25, lens set on f11 (and which lens I use), contrast 4 (I also write enlarger type and do I use b/w head with filters in drawer or colour head using heads filters, as my colour head use 100W halogen lamp and light is diffused and b/w head use 150W incandescent bulb and is with condensors, I want to know that for future), overall exposure 34 seconds, dodginng this area for 5 seconds less than overall exposure, burning that area for 3 second more to overall exposure. Paper XY in chemicals QZ, processed for AB minutes".

I also write on back of contact sheet other informations: Subject of photographing (name of model if model is photographed), location, time/date, film I used, camera/lens/filter... I used, exposure (speed/aperture) for every frame (If I know them, I usually carry small notebook and write those informations), in which chemicals and how long I processed film, and any other information I find interesting. I do that every time I use 6x7 camera, whe use 35mm sometime I do that, sometime I don't
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the back of prints and contact sheets, I write how that one was made. Like F2, f11, 10, sl d top R would mean #2 filter, f 11, 10 seconds, slight dodging on the top right. If it gets more involved, or when I figure out the "best" one for that image, I write it ina notebook. All of my negs are in chronological order and have roll numbers. The 35mm ones are letter then number, up to about 30 for each letter. I have separate ones for color and B&W.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use gaffer's tape on my film holders upon which I write the exposure info while in the field. Upon development, I can pull the tape from the holder and stick it on the neg's envelope. I add a strip of tape for the development notes and a strip for the printing notes. It's simple and I keep good notes this way...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a binder with datasheets that I fill out after development (film or paper). I've been too lazy to transcribe to a electronic document, like a spreadsheet.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you very much everyone for your input. You've given me a good starting point to putting together a system for keeping track of things. Does anyone do diagrams at all for your prints? Like a basic outline sketch.. circle here dodge 5 seconds... circle here burn for 5 seconds... etc.
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Xia, I stick post-it notes to my neg files as I print them. I make notes on enlarger lens used and at what aperture. All dichroic filter settings, timer setting and actual countdown time for base exp. Then I also note down paper used and its size, and add in dodge times and burn times and make drawings of where on the print they are. All this fits onto a small 3"x3" post-it note. It works well for me.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin