Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,642   Online: 793

Shooter
    8x10 Format

white lines on edge of prints-ideas?

Occasionally I get a thin, unsharp, line on one edge of my 8x10 contact prints. This corresponds to a denser line on the negative. It is about 1/4in from the edge of the image. It is on the edge where the dark slide is removed. Usually occurs when in bright light-skies of course- and is not always on images associated with the same holders. Is this coming from declining light trap performance in the holders (they are all less than 10 years old, Fidelity plastic) or from incorrect seating of the holders in the camera back (Canham camera) or are there other potential causes?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It can be reflection off the edge of the film holder? I've never understood why they make them in nice shiny plastic.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have seen this on some of my sheets as well. Except mine was not a 1/4" in from the edge of the image; it is about 1/16" in from the edge of the image and about 1/4" in from the edge of the film. It is obvious that it is some kind of light leak but at 1/16" it's easy to deal with in the enlarger at this time. I keep an eye on it and if it appears to be getting worse, I'll replace the holder.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Barton View Post
    Occasionally I get a thin, unsharp, line on one edge of my 8x10 contact prints. This corresponds to a denser line on the negative. It is about 1/4in from the edge of the image. It is on the edge where the dark slide is removed. Usually occurs when in bright light-skies of course- and is not always on images associated with the same holders. Is this coming from declining light trap performance in the holders (they are all less than 10 years old, Fidelity plastic) or from incorrect seating of the holders in the camera back (Canham camera) or are there other potential causes?
    I think you have already identified the most likely candidates. Some time spent in a dark room with your head in the front standard, and a friend with a flashlight back by the holder might be in order.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin