Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,207   Online: 830

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We don't all print on colder tone papers, and use slightly contrastier paper. You may be right about Tim Rudman, Les McLean etc, I'm not so sure.

Personally I've used warmtone papers since the mid 80's, and definitely print a lot flatter than may amateur/club type photographers, but my contrast range and tones are very similar to Fay Godwin, Peter Cattrell and John Blakemore and many others. I wouldn't dream of using bleach on my prints.

I've also printed the other way, jumping up a grade or more and dodging & burning more heavily, and very occasionally using bleach, sometimes that's what people want.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Record Rapid and Portriga were my first papers. Since then always warm paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

GOOD RESULTS !!!

Ok,
    Bleach diluted 1+200
    Quick rinse
    Fix
    Wash

There is definitely a color shift, more toward chocolate. This is very interesting . So it works !

Thank you.

Guillaume
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bleach post Selenium 1.jpg   Bleach post Selenium 2.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Warmer papers in Blighty...

I print on warmtone generally. I will also overexpose by an extra stop or two when bleaching/toning. That way I can retain highlights. Before you post - yes I do compensate.

Having said that, 90% of my prints look better untoned - as I tend to overexpose to get a warmer feel to my prints in the first place.

I am sure if you bleach your darker toned print - you will get a much warmer chocolate brown. This usually is a step too far for me and then some! I have often tried it - but 90% of the time they still go in the bin.

I for one should do more test prints when toning. Also keep better records so I can always repeat that wonderful tone... When I get it of course.

I am sure that more than one book I can think of does warn about applying too much liquid sunshine after toning!

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That print would have gone to the trash. Too dark and no punch.
    The chocolate shift doesn't go with my series. I will have to redo it anyway.
    But this is good to know that session works, selenium then bleach.

Guillaume

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin