Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,821   Online: 984

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    OK, looks like I need to give a bit more information....

The film is 220. It was processed in a small tank, just the one roll by itself. It was loaded onto a plastic reel (the kind with the ball bearings) and I didn't notice any catches in the film as it wound. Seemed fine. I'm 100% certain there was enough developer in the tank, because I measure very carefully and know exactly how much fits into it. The way the film loads onto the reel, this frame would've been the outermost image on the outside of the reel. There are maybe five or six other frames affected, but not nearly to the extent of this one. I can see six definite bands on this negative; on the others, I can see maybe two or three, and they're much wider and more faint. Frank, I can't see any banding between the frames, but I'm not sure I would -- they're harder to see in the dark areas, and on some of the negs, I didn't see the bands on visual inspection, only after I printed. The affected frames are not all in a row. A few are at the end, and a few more are in the middle. I don't see any fogging on the film edges.

I initially thought something had dripped down the neg strip as they dried, but (duh!) that would've caused banding vertically, not horizontally.

Incidentally, I keep my house at 70 degrees, which is the same temperature as my developer, so I don't think temperature drop-off would be the culprit.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Boy, that's commitment - keeping your house the same temperature as your processing temperature - good thing you aren't doing colour at some much higher temp!

When you took the film reel out of the tank, was the very end of the roll still engaged in the reel's grooves?

Frank
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    OK, looks like I need to give a bit more information....

The film is 220. It was processed in a small tank, just the one roll by itself. It was loaded onto a plastic reel (the kind with the ball bearings) and I didn't notice any catches in the film as it wound. Seemed fine. I'm 100% certain there was enough developer in the tank, because I measure very carefully and know exactly how much fits into it.
    Oh ... well, in that case ... It might have been tribo- or sono- luminescese, or, or .... uh ... did lightning happen to strike the tank? .... or ... or...

I'm reduced to only one thing left ... the "safety valve" for all processing problems ... Must've been defective film ... Yeh, that's it ...

Back to reality: Damned if I know.

When you speak of "horizontal" banding, do you mean "at right angles to the long edge of the complete roll"?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Cheryl, are the stripes across the roll, or along the long direction? Since this is 2 1/4 square, it is hard to know. If it is across the roll,about the only possibility would be the film end touching the emulsion, and moving during the processing. If it was a filling problem, the stripes would be running
    the same direction, and be on the bottom of all the frames. I would think that if the stripes run the short direction, I would look for a problem outside the tank. A light leak could run that direction, and cause the random stripes. Put the film back on the reel and see if the stripes are in the same location.If your camera has a focal plane shutter: it could be sticky??? or just a plain old light leak it the darkroom.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    try re-fixing them in a tray. 2 minutes should do it.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to raise something completely different that may have nothing to do with it - is this old Tri-X or the new stuff? If new, have you developed the new before? There's been quite a lot of discussion about Kodak's published developing times. I also read something about a bad batch or two of the new Tri-X, although I can't find the link Also, Kodak recommends a hardening fixer for the new stuff.
    juan

Yeah, like everyone else, itís hard to see it being chemical. Have you checked for light leaks in your darkroom?

I once had an A12 film back for a blad that got a little bent (I lent it to a mate**). It had a very slight light leak, which did not noticeably affect the film when shooting and winding on relatively quickly, and so, most frames were fine. However, some exposed frames left stationary near the leak for a period of time, say between locations at a wedding, etc, sometimes had slight to moderate fogging, in bands across the film.

Like I said, itís hard to tell, but leave no stone unturned, lest it may continue.

Brett

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where did you load the film into the tank? I had something similar happen when I used to load 220 film in a darkened hallway. It looked dark, but wasn't, you would still get some stray light comming in even if you stuffed blankets under the doors.

Also, is the floor of where ever you are loading the tank carpeted? With 220 film I would occasionally get some static electricity "glow" for lack of a better term on the film surface while unrolling the film to put on the reel.

Those are just some thoughts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The stripes are running perpendicular to the film edge, not down the length of the film strip. Because of that, I ruled out anything happening post-development, and think it must've happened either in the tank, or, conceivably, as mentioned, in camera. I'll shoot another roll under the same conditions and see if it happens again. If it does, I'll probably have to take the camera in for a check-up.

I loaded the film in my darkroom, which I've tested thoroughly for light leaks -- found none. It is carpeted, though, so I guess static is a possibility. I didn't see anything that would've alarmed me while loading the film, though. Ah, the mysteries of ESD.

I'll definitely try re-fixing and see if that helps. Couldn't hurt!

Love all the help I'm getting here. I greatly appreciate it! You're a very supportive (and knowledgeable) bunch.

Off to try the fixer rescue....

Images
    I have gotten bands on my negs once in a while. I believe, in my case, it was caused by not rolling the film up tight enough after exposure, pre development. This is with 120 and 220 film.
    hi!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin