Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,187   Online: 1107

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Who knew that film would become a better investment than stock in Bear Stearns?
    Yeah, I'm in a delima now: Do I use my $600 Stimulus check to buy film or do I invest it, along with alot of my other tax $$$, in BS (ahh, Bear Stearns)?

Where is Jim Cramer when I need him?

Best,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep, I can confirm that 7DayShop never listed HIE at anything like $24.99 -- at least not that I noticed. I bought some from them recently at £11.99 per roll which was listed as being discounted from £12.99 and they ususally offer better prices than most others who were all cheaper than that when they still had it in stock. Beware anyone outside the UK because it's not VAT free once it goes over £18. Come to think of it, that's obviously why they settled on £17.99...

I tried hard to get some from the US but the one or two people I could find with any left in stock would not ship it. I tried hard because almost all film seems to be half the price in the US than in the UK (general observation to which I know there will be exceptions).

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't know what made me think of HIE but I've just looked at 7dayshop and it's now £17.99 discounted to £17.49. Only a 50p drop which is neither here not there if you are paying nearly £18 but that's 50p in the space of a few weeks. Might take a couple of months but watch this space.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As it happens I bought 10 rolls of HIE (dated 9/2008) from 7dayshop about 3 weeks ago. I can't remember the exact price but it was certainly considerably less than £10 a roll... possibly £7.99? Evidently there's been a bit of a run on it but at that time they claimed to have 'plenty' in stock.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Who knew that film would become a better investment than stock in Bear Stearns?

i have my investment in IR film now.....just hanging on till the market really gets crazy! then i will sell! 2009 date so i will hold on another 7 months and see how it goes then.

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Silverprint have it for about a tenner - http://www.silverprint.co.uk/bwf6.html. (also IR820C, yeah i know its just not the same, but I still like it), but thats scandalous from 7DS.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ade-oh View Post
    As it happens I bought 10 rolls of HIE (dated 9/2008) from 7dayshop about 3 weeks ago. I can't remember the exact price but it was certainly considerably less than £10 a roll... possibly £7.99? Evidently there's been a bit of a run on it but at that time they claimed to have 'plenty' in stock.

Well it's just over 3 weeks ago that I made the original post and it was £17.99then hence the reason for the thread. If you are right about your date of about or just over 3 weeks ago and your price of possibly £7.99 per roll it suggests that suddenly someone at 7dayshop decided that an increase of about £10 per roll was right.

Well I don't think it was right. I recall the petrol shortage of late 1973 after the Yom Kippur war when the mentality that petrol might stop flowing the next day gave certain petrol stations the green light to charge whatever they thought the panicky market might bear.

Those stations took a long time to recover from their "quick buck" profits mentality and quite rightly so. It sounds as if other retailers such as Silverprint are pitching prices more realistically.

Anyone feeding the 7Dayshop mentality on HIE is simply encouraging such increases. I always recall the comic encounter between Elliot Gould and Telly Savalas in the film "Capricorn One" Gould needs to get back to civilisation with an exclusive news scoop and Savalas with his crop duster plane is his only hope, He asks Savalas what the charge is and Savalas says " $100 an hour." Gould immediately agrees and Savalas says: It's £150 an hour now. You agreed to $100 too quickly"

About sums it up

pentaxuser

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin