Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,043   Posts: 1,560,841   Online: 1174

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak HIE - Time to re-think your decision Kodak!

Only kidding - I think. However I have just seen in the clearance section of 7dayshop a roll of HIE for £17.99 - That's one roll only mind! Only a week or so ago it was just under £11.00. I was even thinking of buying one, just to get the experience of it, never having used it.

Not now - not ever at that price. When it was a regular stock item it was about £7.50 and probably expensive at that.

Clearly 7dayshop have judged the marketplace as supporting £17.99 a roll. Well it has misjudged things in my case and I suspect a lot other cases as well. If I am right watch out for large decreases in price as it faces being left with stock that has a limited use by date.

Just academic curiosity but I wonder what price Kodak would have needed to keep HIE profitable - less than £18.00(say $34) a roll I suspect.

What, if any comparable price hikes have you U.S. APUGers seen?

No doubt 7dayshop would argue that rationing on price is as good a way of ensuring that only those most in need get the product. It might be right and it does have the other beneficial effect of providing an effective "cold turkey " cure to those of us who need to be spared any mourning for HIE's passing.

I have managed to wipe away my tears already

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is odd because Seven Day Shop usually sells discontinued items at a discount rather than a premium.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Steve. I am a little surprised this thread hasn't brought more comments but so be it. I checked again and I suppose you could argue it has been discounted. It is listed at £24.99 discounted to £17.99! I can't recall seeing it ever listed at £24.99 but I suppose it must have been or 7Dayshop couldn't claim it has been discounted. It struck me the discount was a bit like a furniture store which shall be nameless which is always discounting to half price or even a third of the price and yet it's furniture products still make it a profit and seem to be at the market rate!

I sell Monet paintings normally at £100 million but usually discount to silly prices at under two figure millions. I can't help it, it's just my natural generosity.

Maybe 7dayshop has seen the furore on APUG and thinks there are enough people willing to buy 4 rolls for a £100 but as a gesture it will let them have five and a half rolls for £100.

"Good luck to them squire" as they might say in "Larkrise to Candlewick"

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's nothing; Adorama is selling Polaroid Type 55 for $109 a box. I did a quick and dirty calc for the breakeven retail price for a single roll of HIE and I think it exceeds $250.00 per roll.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Who knew that film would become a better investment than stock in Bear Stearns?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wrote a review of it for them, which they have declined to publish; presumably because it wasn't too complimentary of their sharp and disreputable practice. I note that they have altered the "original" price to £17.99 from the original claimed £24.99. Bunch of charlatans if you ask me.
    For it to be an investment David; they have to sell it first, otherwise it remains a liability.
    Just a thought, I wonder if 7dayshop is part of Jessops?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, I've been watching the price, and I don't recall ever seeing it at £24.99. Until a few days ago the normal price was 12.99, with a "Special Price" £5 higher at £17.99. They then altered the normal price to £24.99. I certainly won't buy at that price, and until they lower it, have decided to buy all my film elsewhere, even if I have to pay a bit more. I, too, suspect sharp practice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just FYI, about 10 - 15 years ago, Lionel, American Flyer and Ives model trains were considered among the best investments of any, provided the models were made before 1950. Models bought for about $2 in the 40s or 50s were selling for as much as $250. Greenberg's listing is still showing a heavy profit so maybe film and cameras are the thing of the future. IDK.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could be right PE, but I suspect a model train has a better shelf life than HIE.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    I have bought very little from 7dayshop and don't profess to be a close observer of it. A few Fuji colour films has been about the lot. To be fair this is the first time I have seen such blatant and open profiteering. It's difficult to work out whether this would be normal practice shoud it have a monopoly position on all things or simply represents an aberration of otherwise honourable behaviour. However my observation is that its business is driven by a "stack them high sell them cheap" strategy rather than a service to analogue photographers. Apart from film and some accessories common to both analogue and digi it seems to offer very little else. It is never going to offer hard to get, slow to sell stuff.

If it sees its relationship with customers as a simple "price tart" one with no loyality on either side then we maybe should have expected its price approach to the end of HIE to have happened sooner.

I think it could be a costly strategy for it. It has certainly affected my view of it and I suspect others. Yes it will sell some HIE even at these prices but it could cost it more than it will gain.

If I were someone called Simon whose company philosophy is at the opposite end of the spectrum from this, I would have an even warmer feeling about the future of my IR product.

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin