Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,552   Online: 773

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

No surprise, my favourite paper is ILFORD Galerie FB.....although I also use variable contrast FB, especially if my neg is a bit wayward, using graded paper definitely ensures you pay good attention to your developing regime.....I also used to Love AGFA Record Rapid.

Simon : ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear All,

No surprise, my favourite paper is ILFORD Galerie FB..... using graded paper definitely ensures you pay good attention to your developing regime.....

Simon : ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    I use Galerie as my standard paper and think that's it's actually easier to produce a really stunning print using Galerie than it is with a VC paper (I've tried Ilford FB, Berrger graded and VC, Kentmere VC, Foma VC; the new Adox MCC111 comes very close.).

As long as your neg has enough contrast for your enlarger it's very easy to use one of the two grades at their maximum contrast in Dektol (or similar) 1:1. If your neg doesn't have enough contrast you can run into trouble but selenium toning the neg can often help you get an acceptable print on grade 3 Galerie.

It's quite easy to reduce the contrast of the paper using selectol-soft and/or reducing the development time and/or changing the developer dilution. My own opinion is that using these methods to change the contrast of the paper leads to "better" results than simply changing filters. Why, I don't knoow and I find it hard to explain what better is, but Galerie really can look exceptional under a range of conditions.
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kristopher_lawrence View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I just found what kind of paper I used. It was old Agfa Portega Rapid. Do someone know what would be a good replacement?
    Kris
    There isn't one. Long story but the "heavy metals" used to produce this fine paper were harmful to the environment and there went the paper.

Closest current paper is either Ilford Multi-contrast Warm tone or Bergger warm tone.

Enjoy what supply you have left.
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kristopher_lawrence View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for your answers,

I just found what kind of paper I used. It was old Agfa Portega Rapid. Do someone know what would be a good replacement?
    Oh my god you are so lucky... :o

In an old Portriga thread here, I once (I was a lurker for a long time) saw someone talking about having the "emulsion formula" for portriga rapid, was that ever elaborated on?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Some things are just too difficult to explain - like AZO contact prints. But I shoot for graded paper - to look good on grade 2 and maybe better on grade 3. Glossy fiber is my choice. I now have a big drum dryer so I can actually get the gloss finish but with or without are both very good. Ferro typed glossy FB paper has a 3d look to it that is amazing. Like a great paint job on a car, you feel like you can look into the image. I have also found that graded papers often have a slightly different color which I find very satisfying - as well as how they look toned. My favorite is now as extinct as a t-rex so I have a box of Seagull that I will try. I absolutely have VC paper on hand so when I SCREW UP - I can still salvage an image. I must say that those boxes last a long time now (not like when I started)
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin