Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,517   Online: 847

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    damn typos!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, there was at least one semi-modern example of film and paper being matched size-wise: 10" x 10" contact-speed paper made for printing 9" x 9" aerial-camera negatives of WWII vintage. (I once had a few boxes of this, made by Haloid in pre-Xerox days.)

Now the question is: which was the limiting dimension, the camera or the paper. Since the paper was larger than standard typing paper (file folders, etc.) my guess would be that the 9x9 image size was due to the limits of lens coverage, size and weight of cameras and magazines, or something like that.

If memory serves, when the Graflex XL press camera was in ads in the mid-1960s, one of the selling points was its 6x7 format which supposedly would print without waste onto 8x10. When I do the math, it seems that 2mm of lost area on each side of the negative would make the aspect ratio exactly 8:10 (with no borders!). This may have worked for wedding photographers, but all the newspaper pictures that I ever saw were cropped to odd formats (on full sheets of paper, usually) to suit the layout of the paper anyway, so the "economy" issue was mostly just marketing.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    16x12 is the perfect size for 35mm negs as you print with a two inch border all round which gives a 12x8 image.

11x14 with 1 inch border is 12x9 which damn near the same aspect ratio of the actual useable area of a 4x5 neg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin